Well Fuck...

Chapter 38

Haley

I was on autopilot as I walked back home. Like always my Mom was the frist person I saw. She warmly embraced me with a soft smile. She was still in her long white nightgown pajamas with her long black hair braided. I could smell breakfast wafting in the air pancakes eggs and bacon.

"I'm back", I whispered into the crook of her neck as I hugged her back.

"You always do", she pulled away and and ran her thumb over my cheek. I couldn't even look her in the eyes and her warm hand fell. "Something happen?".

Get a fucking grip.

"No, it was just---"

"Something happen", she repeated except this time it wasn't a question.

I didn't know what to say. So I just shrugged my shoulders. Something always happens. It doesn't mean we talk about it.

"HEY MOM!" Marc yelled coming around the house to the front door,"Got a big o catfish!"

"And some carp!" Samuel shouted.

It didn't click before but now my brain was working. We haven't had to depend on the river for food since the last time there was a food shortage.

"Hey! When did you get back?" Samuel exclaimed running over to us with his bucket of carp.

"Where's Dad?"

"What am I visible? I don't get a hello", Samuel responded.

"Hi. Where's Dad?"

"You probably just missed him. A bunch of guys are going to Jonathan to talk", Marc answered proudly holding up the 4ft catfish.

"I can only imagine why", I slipped off my backpack and dropped it inside the house. I only needed my gun, and my pocket knife. "Where Jackson?"

"With dad", Anna said climbing down from the loft bedroom area and running into my arm. "Did you bring us anything?"

"Anna!" Mom scolded.

"Why aren't you at work?"

"Umm... We have vampires in town. We can't have the innocent walking around for the slaughter!" Marc said taking off his shoes as he headed into the house.

"It's day", I stated.

"Yeah, but it was night", Marc tried to justify.

"That doesn't make any sense. It's going to be night every night".

"Right... but vampires".

"You know we're just trying to be safe. If Kevin didn't walk Laura to work everyday she wouldn't be out either. It's not safe for the women and children", Samuel try to explain a little bit better as he took off his shoes and walked into the house as well.

"Can we talk about this inside and not let all the heat out?" Mom stressed.

Anna dug in my pockets and found my wedding ring, a stick of gum and my bloody ribbons.

"Can I have this?" Anna asked holding up the stick of gum.

"Sure", I said just as I was about to ask for my wedding ring back. She ran off back into the house. I probably shouldn't be wearing it. "I'll be back".

"You just got back at least come in and have breakfast", Mom worried.

"I have to see what this meet is about. I'll be back with Dad and Jackson", I said heading out. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Lily in her window nook. We probably woke her up, Because she was still in her pajamas as well with the stuff brown teddy bear I hadn't seen since... Gloria made it for her a Christmas a lifetime ago. Lily stared at me with dead eyes before she waved at me. I waved back and headed to the only place an angry mob with congregate to feed each other.