Chapter Thirty-Three

Depuis le début

"The ferry. It's the only way." Pope answers.

"Exit stage left while you still can." Everleigh smiles. "Before the entire island is on lockdown."

A siren is heard, and cops cars pass by, "Guys, just get down." Kiara tells them.

"Sarah's not a Pogue, John B." Pope says.

Everleigh scoffs, and decides to not say anything.

"Yeah. You can't stay here, man." JJ agrees.

Later on they move more towards the water, trying to get a better look at what's happening.

"Okay. All right, no." Pope says nervously. Walking back to the car with a piece of paper in his hand.

"Pope, can you act normal?" Kiara asks.

"So, um... okay, so, bad news. The ferry's closed, and there is this." Pope says, handing the paper to Kiara, then getting into the car.

"What is that? What is this?" John B asks as she gives the paper to Everleigh who is sat between JJ and John B.

"Well, John B, uh... this is a good framer of you." JJ says sarcastically, showing him the paper.

"I'm pretty sure I took that picture." Everleigh smiles.

John B rolls his eyes, "Focus. Please Ev."

"Okay, so the whole island's lookin' for John B right now." Pope states the obvious.

"That's a lot of money." Everleigh says, looking at the paper.

"Congratulations, John B. You're famous." JJ jokes.

Kiara's eyes light up, "Guys, we got to get to the HMS. We need small, no running lights..."

"It's at the Château, Kie." John B stops her.

"And I wonder if the cops got the entire place stacked out." JJ says.

"Let me think. Oh, yeah. No. They definitely have that place locked down." Everleigh finishes for him.

"Yeah, copy that." Kiara rolls her eyes.

Pope speaks again, stopping the arguing, "Let me think. Just give me a second." He stops and thinks, "JJ." He turns and looks at JJ over the seat.

"What?" JJ answers quickly.

"Does your dad still have that boat? The cigarette boat, the Phantom. The one he used to race." Pope asks.

"Maybe." JJ answers, putting his hand on Everleigh's thigh.

"You could get right up the coast, no problem." Pope says, turning back around.

Everleigh sighs, "It won't be easy, Pope."

"The surf's running from three to four." Kiara explains.

"I don't know where the keys are." JJ mumbles.

"Well, find them." Everleigh says.

"I'm thinking." JJ fires back.

"Why is nobody moving forward?" Pope asks frustrated.

"Can you relax?" Kiara says, trying to pull Pope together.

"JJ, how much weed did you give him?" Everleigh giggles.

"Guys. Your car's on the poster." John B says nervously.

Pope beeps the horn. "Can we move it?"

"Pope!" Everleigh says loudly, "I thought we agreed he would never drive."

They turn to see a kid pointing at their car.

"Don't honk the horn." Kiara says to Pope, looking at him with wide eyes.

"It's that guy. Right there." The kid shouts.

"Shit. We got a snitch. Pope, turn the car on." JJ says with a shaky voice.

Everleigh grabs her wrist, squeezing it tightly. "I hate little kids, oh my fucking god!"

"We get $25,000 if we find him. Hey! He's right there!" The kid exclaims.

Kiara looks at Pope helplessly, "Hey! We gotta go!"

JJ reaches for Everleigh's arm, pulling her hand from her wrist, and interlocking his fingers with hers. "Turn the car on!"

People start to argue over who would get the reward for finding John B.

"Pope, turn the frickin' car on!" Kiara yells.

"I'm trying!" He yells back.

When the car finally turns on, they all jolt forwards, and Pope hits the car infront of them.

Everleigh turns and looks at JJ in fear. "Seatbelt." She tells him.

He listens to her, putting on his seatbelt.

Everleigh looks to her right, and holds John B's hand with her own free hand.

"Jesus Pope!" Everleigh exclaims. "Back up!"

When Pope finally turns his car out of the lines, he speeds up.

"Sorry!" Pope yells.

The drives the car over the grass, causing the car to shake and jump.

Watch out! Pope! Whoa, whoa, whoa, watch out!

"Watch out!" Kiara yells as Pope runs into a mailbox.

"Oh, my God! Pope!" Everleigh shouts.

"I'm livin' my best life now." Pope smiles.

"My mom'll kill me." Kiara sighs.

"I should be the last to say this, but you are not okay to drive." JJ says, scared.

"Stop!" Everleigh tells him.

The tires squeal, and the car comes to a complete stop.

"John B, get out." Everleigh says looking down at him, nodding in reassurance.

"Ev's right." JJ agrees.

"We'll draw the cops, you run." Everleigh finishes.Shit.

"I'll get the rig, and I'll meet you in the dump tomorrow, okay?" JJ says to John B who is climbing out of the car.

"Three o'clock, okay?" Everleigh tells him.

"Yeah." John B nods, and smiles at Everleigh.

JJ gives Everleigh's hand a comforting squeeze, "Three tomorrow at the dump."

"Yeah." John B yells, running away.