Chapter 29 - The Secret

Mattheo's POV
Daphne had been acting weird since the little meeting with my father. She keeps saying she's fine but neither me or Draco believe her. Something happened in that meeting. Something bad, and I needed to know what. Both me and Draco needed to know. We had to protect her. We couldn't let her go like last time. We already know how everyone acts when she's gone and no one thinks she's coming back, no one wants to experience that again. Especially me. I couldn't live without her. I decided I was going to pay a little visit to my father to find out what he told her. I didn't really expect him to actually tell me but I hoped he would.

I was outside the Riddle manor contemplating wether I should really do this or not.
"Oh fuck it" I say storming in.
As I reached the meeting room, I went in to see my father at the head of the table.
"What the fuck did you do to her" I say stopping at the other side of the table.
"I don't know what you mean"
"You said something during your little one on one. What did you say"
"She didn't tell you" he said chuckling a little "thought she would've told you by now"
"Well she hasn't and I need to know what happened"
"Well if you must know-"

I was sitting in the common room thinking about what he said. I now understood why she was acting like this. I felt so bad. I don't understand how she hasn't completely broken down yet. Well I mean she is strong though so I'm not that surprised. I skipped the first couple lessons and lunch doing this. I hurt me deeply to know what she was going through. I should tell Draco. No I should'nt. No I should he's her brother. They're family he deserves to know.

Draco's POV
"Oh my god" was all I could say.
I couldn't believe what she was going through. I now understood why she was acting weird. Why she was so distant to us all but also at the same time wanted to spend so much time with us. How hasn't she broken down? She's tough though so even if she has broken down, she wouldn't show anyone. She's good at hiding her emotions. This was not good for her. She will be worrying all the time now.

Daphne's POV
Mattheo wasn't in his first few lessons and didn't join us for lunch. I wondered where he was. I mean what else could he be doing, there isnt much to do in this shit hole.

I was in fourth period which was charms with Professor Flitwick. I was bored and wanted to see Mattheo. I haven't seen him all day. Draco was across the room from me, quite far away. I kept catching him staring at me which was odd but I didn't really think much of it at the time. He looked at me with sorrow like he felt really bad for me. I was so confused. What did he know?

"Hey" I say running after Draco after the lesson "why did you keep looking at me like that" I say.
He just stared at me with the same sorrow look on his face.
"Stop looking at me like that and just tell me what you know" I say with a straight face.
He looked around grabbed my arm and led me somewhere. He led me to the room of requirements.
"What are we doing in here" i ask.
I saw Mattheo sat on the couch. When he saw me he quickly got up and hugged me.
"What's going on" I say hugging him back.
He pulled away and held my shoulders looking straight into my eyes.
"We know" he said.
"Know what" I ask laughing.
"The task"
My smile quickly dropped off my face.
"What?"
"I went to see my father and-"
"You saw him!?" I say walking back from him.
"Yes I-"
"Why!?"
"Because I needed to know what was going on that's why"
"I would've told you when I was ready"
"No" Draco said "Daphne I have known you my whole life. I know you weren't ever going to tell us"
I looked down at the ground not knowing what to say now.
"Well it's not like I could tell anyone else about it since they don't know the truth so why bother telling anyone at all" I say looking back up.
"Because we do know the truth and want to protect you Daphne. We would take a bullet for you"
"But I don't want you to. I have put you both through so much pain already, I don't want to put you through more" I was on the verge of tears.
As I let one tear slip, Mattheo walked up to me and wiped the tear away culling my cheek. He hugged me again whispering in my ear.
"I love you too much to let anything happen to you"
He suddenly pulled away and looked at me realising what he said.
I smiled "I love you too"
He kissed my passionately as that was the first time we had ever said that.
"Eww keep is PG please" Draco says looking away with a disgusted face.
We all started to burst out laughing.
"Just know thought D." Draco said "we are here for you and will help you if you need it"
I just smiled and nodded. We went back to the common room and had some fun with the rest. Pansy, Abigail, Enzo and I gossiped a bit. We played truth or dare and talked a lot. I wanted them to have as many good memories of me as they can before they would be replaced with the bad ones. The ones that would make them hate me. The ones that would make them never trust me again. The ones that would make them wish they never knew me and never became my friends in the first place.