Chapter 9

"Tell me about yourself?" Ardeth asked as he watched Sherlyn look out of the window sipping her coffee.

Sherlyn raised her brow.

"I didn't ask you for your bank password." Ardeth rolled his eyes.

"I live with my dad, earlier we used to live in South fields but last year after my mother passed away in an accident, we couldn't stay there. So, we relocated." Sherlyn briefed.

"What about Johan's girl?"

"Johan's girl?" Sherlyn scrunched her face, "Her name is Marcie, she is my cousin and best friend."

"What about you?" Sherlyn asked as she watched Ardeth devour the food, that occupied three fourth of the table.

"Someone is eager to know about me." Ardeth smiled with a teasing glint.

"You wish." Sherlyn huffed, "I am trying to make a conversation."

"I live with Nick in our shared apartment, my family lives in the other side of the town. I have an elder brother, Tristan. He works with my father in his company."

"What about Brianna? Your girlfriend?" Sherlyn asked awkwardly.

"Girlfriend?" Ardeth choked and spit out the coffee, "Sorry." He said wiping with paper napkin.

"Brianna is not my girlfriend." Ardeth clarified, "I don't have a girlfriend, I don't date."

"Umm... I thought..." Sherlyn trailed off.

"Just because I fucked her doesn't mean, she is my girlfriend." Ardeth said and continued to eat the food.

"How's your Soccer practice going?" Sherlyn asked as they walked out of the cafe.

"So far it's good, we have some newbies in the team, we are hoping for them to catch up with us before the tournament." Ardeth said walking beside Sherlyn.

"It's getting cold here." Sherlyn said as she wrapped her arms around herself.

"I guess that the climate isn't that cool in South fields."

"It was moderate, not too cool, not too hot." Sherlyn informed.

"Here, take this hoodie." Ardeth offered the hoodie, he pulled out from his Duffle bag.

"It's okay, I am good."

"I don't want you to freeze in this weather besides if anything happens to you, I will be in deep waters, since I am the one who took you out." Ardeth said pushing the hoodie into Sherlyn's hands. "Return it to me later, that's my favourite hoodie." He said as he sped up the car on the road.

"Er..." Sherlyn cleared her throat.

"You want water?" Ardeth asked as he continued to drive.

"No." Sherlyn said, "The roads are clear." She said after a minute.

"Yes." Ardeth nodded.

"There is no traffic." She added.

"I can see that."

"Can you please sped up a bit, you are driving at less than 20kmph." Sherlyn said annoyed looking at the speedometer.

"Don't you know that Speed Kills." Ardeth said as he drove his car in a slow and steady pace. "I don't want to die young."

"It's getting dark." Sherlyn said exasperated.

"Little birdie is afraid of darkness and ghosts." Ardeth laughed, "Enjoy the weather instead of worrying, you can always hug me if you are scared." He winked and rolled down the windows to let the cool breeze in.

Sherlyn leaned against the window enjoying the cool breeze with her eyes closed as the cold breeze of October that kissed her face and danced with her hair. A happy smile appeared on her face as she remembered the winters she spent in South fields, enjoying the freshly baked almond cookies and decorating the Christmas tree.

She opened her eyes and realised that they reached near her home, she turned around and saw Ardeth looking at her intently.

"Why didn't you tell me that we reached?" Sherlyn asked as she collected her bag.

"I didn't feel like disturbing you, you seemed happy." Ardeth shrugged.

"Thanks for coffee and the ride." Sherlyn said looking at Ardeth.

"Pleasure is all mine, Chèrie." Ardeth said as he took Sherlynn's hand and kissed it.

His soft lips were warm against Sherlyn's winter kissed hands, Sherlyn's cheeks heated with a tint of pink. She looked at Ardeth, who made no attempt to leave her hand, and to her surprise, she began to enjoy the warmth of his hands, it felt oddly comfortable. They stared at eachother as the crickets sang the happy songs in the distant meadows.

She seh she nah wear no underwear
She nah wear no underwear
Seh she waan di big ting...

Dexta Daps No underwear song played loudly, as Ardeth's phone rang making him let out a string of profanities as he fumbled and turned it off hurriedly.

"Umm... I should go." Sherlyn said as she opened the car door and stepped out. "Good night."

"Good night." Ardeth sighed.

"Hi Pa." Sherlyn greeted as she hurried towards her room.

"Hi Pumpkin, Join me for the dinner." James shouted from the kitchen.

Sherlyn closed the door behind her and walked towards the window. She found Ardeth in car, under the light pole as he spoke with someone in his phone. She hid behind the curtains as he looked towards her home for a moment before he drove away.

She felt confused regarding her feelings towards Ardeth, she knew he was a bad boy that everyone warned her to stay away from yet she found herself inching closer to him every passing day even without making an effort. What scared her the most was how she feels comfortable in his company. She held Ardeth's hoodie in her hands which smelled like fresh lime and aqua mixed with his masculine scent.

"Dinner's ready..." James announced from the kitchen.

"Will be there in a minute." Sherlyn shouted back as she chucked the hoodie in her closet before running downstairs.

"Woah... Slowly, slowly..." James said as he watched Sherlyn run down the stairs.

"How's everything at work, Pa." Sherlyn asked as she twirled the noodles in her plate.

"So far, so good." James said, "Now that I have Preston to help me." James along with Preston Jones, makes furniture and other wood items in Preston's outhouse.

"I am happy that you are happy, Pa." Sherlyn said looking at her father, who looked happier than he had been in past few months.

"I wanted to be a good and happy father for my Pumpkin." James smiled.

"You have always been a great father to me, I couldn't wish for any better." Sherlyn said as she hugged James.

"Thank you, Pumpkin." James smiled as he patted Sherlyn's hair.