Chapter 21: Practice

The lights in the inner hall were dim, barely able to show what was inside.

The spacious room was covered with light-colored cushions, and walking on them was a bit difficult. Mo Tianliao almost fell down the moment he stepped in. He flipped in mid-air, landed, and steadied himself. He looked down, the person in his arms was still sleeping soundly.

Secretly relieved, Mo Tianliao looked around. The huge window was half open and hung with a layer of snowy gauze that swayed gently in the night wind. There was a big bed in the middle of the room, with drapes hanging from the four corners and a plain brocade quilt cover, shimmering in the moonlight.

He slowly walked over and gently laid the beauty in his arms on the bed. The soft breathing against his neck excited him. Mo Tianliao took a deep breath and moved the head resting against his chest onto the soft pillow.

The cold moonlight shone through the window screen onto the peerless beauty. Mo Tianliao could not help but look again.

The beautiful gently-closed eyes that drew a graceful line; the thin, rosy lips; the perfectly curved chin; the white neck; and below that neck...

Wrong! Wrong!

Mo Tianliao forcibly tore his eyes off the beauty and put the person on the bed properly. The slender body sank into the soft mattress. Pulling the thin quilt, he carefully covered his master. Mo Tianliao had just straightened up and turned to go when he felt a tug on his sleeve.

"Where are you going?" The soft, melodious voice sounded tender; the lingering drowsiness gave it a slightly clingy and childish tone.

Mo Tianliao stiffly looked back and found that a bit of his sleeve was caught in his master's hand, those beautiful eyes slowly opening a bit as he spoke.

"If Master is tired, disciple will come back tomorrow." Mo Tianliao lit the Liuli lamp next to the bed with a rub of his fingers, crouched down, and looked at his master who was lying prone by the edge of the bed.

A white hand slowly raised to cover the delicate pink lips; Qingtong yawned slightly. He did not get up, simply lying on the bed and looking at him.

"There is no need to come tomorrow. This excellency will be meditating in seclusion."

Mo Tianliao understood clearly what his master meant: "What do you want? Say it quickly and fuck off". He promptly brought up the matter of Mo Xiaozhao, "Disciple really wants that white kitten."

As for whether a direct disciple could obtain a Demonic Beast, Mo Tianliao had already consulted with Yan Lie, and there weren't any rules. It all depended on whether your master wanted you to have one or not. He couldn't ever lose Mo Xiaozhao. He wasn't worried about the cat not accompanying him. His only worry was that Master would give Mo Xiaozhao away.

"I'm not giving him to anyone," Qingtong answered simply and clearly, shooing him away with his hand.

"Then how can I get him?" With his master's reassurance, Mo Tianliao felt an enormous weight lift from his heart. But when he looked at those beautiful eyes, watery with sleep, like obsidian washed by rain, he couldn't help asking, using it as an excuse to keep looking at them.

Eyes that sparkled like the light reflected on a wave of water glanced at him and slowly closed. "Let's see your performance."

Mo Tianliao couldn't help grinning from ear to ear. He pulled out the Liuli hairpin from behind his back. It was the same one he had bought in the town market. However, the carving had been redone. The hiding moon was now embedded within the hollow clouds. The simple form belied its complex and magnificent design, which seemed to move in the candlelight. It was very beautiful.