Chapter 5: Master

Those cool and clear eyes shifted slightly to meet Mo Tianliao's gaze.

"Qingtong, when did you come out of closed cultivation?" The Sect Master smiled as he looked at Master Qingtong. His tone was extremely warm, and if it not for the natural expression on Master Tianlang's face, one might think that he was trying to earn the favor of Master Qingtong.

Master Qingtong looked away from Mo Tianliao and turned to the Sect Master, then to Master Xuanji.

Master Xuanji shrunk back imperceptibly, then spoke up, "Um... I... I picked out someone with a divine spirit attribute, do you want him?"

After a lazy glance at the talented young man kneeling before Master Xuanji's seat, Master Qingtong shifted his gaze away and turned back towards Mo Tianliao.

"This one is the most handsome one out of this batch," The Sect Master pointed at Mo Tianliao with an ever-present smile on his face, "I was thinking of letting him learn under Yanlie..."

"Give this one to me." That cool and pleasant voice was like the sweet call of a newly born phoenix.

The moment Master Qingtong spoke, the Sect Master nodded profusely without a hint of hesitation.

Right after that, a lustrous white jade token was tossed in front of Mo Tianliao. Mo Tianliao picked it up and looked it over. The word 'Qing' was carved on the front, while there was a complicated pattern carved into the back. Glimmers of spirit light would flash from the token from time to time. It was likely a limited access token which only granted entry to areas which didn't require rank or levels.

When the Sect Master saw the token that Master Qingtong had given to Mo Tianliao, he was slightly stunned, "You're going to take him as your direct disciple?"

The Sect Master had assumed that Qingtong had come to accept some second-generation disciples instead. The token Qingtong had given Mo Tianliao was meant only for direct disciples. With that token, Mo Tianliao could enter most of the areas within the Heavy Cloud Sect!

Even the expressionless Xuanji finally reacted with wide eyes. That wasn't something they gave out easily. For example, he hadn't given one to the talented divine spirit attribute disciple he had just accepted. They would usually observe new disciples over a probation period and wait until they had formed their qi foundation before giving them the special tokens.

"What?" Master Qingtong shot a seemingly blank stare at the other Branch Masters. Tianlang and Xuanji immediately shut up and waved their hands to indicate that they had no other objections.

After a long moment of drinking in his new master's beauty, Mo Tianliao finally came back to his senses and realized what had happened. He quietly slipped the jade token into his sleeves. So after separating out the high and low potential disciples, the masters would then pick out the best-looking ones... That meant those with better looks had a higher chance of becoming a direct disciple...

Mo Tianliao gulped nervously. He was starting to feel that he was on the verge of stumbling upon some dark secret of the Heavy Cloud Sect... For example.... Using their disciples as cultivation furnaces in bed to increase their cultivation and so on...

As his imagination ran wilder and wilder, the sect members finished picking out their new disciples. Even until the end, he remained the only one who had been picked out for their looks. Of course, that was also the reason why he received countless envious looks from the other newcomers. He rubbed his chin gingerly in thought. As an ex-Demonic Lord, he had somehow fallen so far that he had to use his looks to get by in life. How tragic!

Those who hadn't been chosen by the Branch Masters or their disciples were led away by Chifeng and Chishan. The lucky ones were then led by their new masters back to their own homes. Mo Tianliao happily followed his newly minted beauty of a master out of the grand hall.