Chapter 20: Cut the Weeds

"Qing- Qingtong Zhenren..." The Golden Core cultivator turned pale with fear and stumbled back a few steps, both hands raised.

These days, Taixuan continent's ambient qi was becoming more and more impure. Even with the help of a spiritual beast, it was very difficult to reach a high level. Even a Nascent Soul cultivator could become a Sect Elder. Meanwhile, the Branch Master of Woyun Sect was a true Half-Immortal!

Although Golden Core was a high rank, it was still a worm when compared to the great power of a Half-Immortal.

The Qi Refining cultivator was also stunned. He had attended the Inter-Sect Assembly with his sect's Elder. Naturally, he had met Qingtong. He knew that the otherworldly beautiful ancestor had a very bad temper.

"Growl..." When the still-staggering little leopard saw the beauty floating in mid-air, it was so excited it immediately cried out.

The cub's cries returned them to their senses. The Qi Refining cultivator of Qingyun Sect took a deep breath and saluted Qingtong.

"I've met Qingtong Zhenren. Junior is called He Xijiu, the grandson of Qingyun Sect's Elder Yun Song. Today, I've come to visit Woyun Sect. Here's my calling card."

There was an unwritten rule in the righteous path: those who were sheltered by their elders or masters would mention the names of their benefactors when in danger. This served both as a way to mark them as decent people and as a deterrent. If you persisted in killing them, you were bound to make enemies. This was also why Mo Tianliao had disclosed his identity early on.

This was the hypocritical attitude of the righteous path, which had ended up fostering a group of arrogant young masters. Mo Tianliao surreptitiously pursed his lips. The demonic path, on the other hand, was purely law of the jungle; strength was the most important thing, and the weak or unskilled didn't get to do as they chose, and not all survived.

Qingtong slowly descended to the ground, his cold eyes settling on the dusty Mo Tianliao.

"Come here."

Mo Tianliao quickly brushed off the dirt on his body, walked over in a few strides, bowed down, and saluted, "Master." His gaze wandered in search of the kitten he had just thrown.

"It turned out to be Zhenren's disciple, what a misunderstanding," the Golden Core cultivator also reacted, touching the corners of his bloody mouth and smiling. "We saw this fellow cultivator with an unclaimed Demonic Beast, and we were simply curious..."

This remark turned the recent attempted robbery and murder into a misunderstanding, reversing the blame by pretending Mo Tianliao hadn't introduced himself. Not only that, but it also implied that Mo Tianliao had found a Demonic Beast behind his master's back — maybe he had even stolen it from the sect.

Qingtong raised his eyes, glanced at the Golden Core cultivator speaking energetically, then raised his hand slightly to show a tuft of white fluff inside his sleeve.

The Golden Core cultivator immediately shut up. The Demonic Beast belonged to that person's master. What else was there to say?

Mo Tianliao breathed a sigh of relief; if his cat was in his master's arms, it would naturally be safe. Only... his eyes were fixed on the white and slender hands and the bit of white fur. Lord Kitty, his cat, was actually close to someone else! Could it be that his master was keeping an eye on Xiaozhao and intended to raise him himself?

"Do you want to settle this by yourselves or do you want this excellency to do it?" Qingtong put a hand behind him and spoke slowly in a clear and sweet voice.

He Xijiu was surprised; he had mentioned his elder yet Qingtong still intended to kill them.

"Zhenren, Xijiu is the only grandson of our sect's Elder Yun Song. We were the ones to caused offence to your disciple just now, please... ah..." The Golden Core cultivator hadn't finished talking when Qingtong moved his hand, creating a strong blow as if from a giant invisible palm. The slap blew him three zhangs away and smashed him firmly against the side of the mountain.