"Ah yes, the perfect gift, if I do say so myself," the man replied proudly. Ava hadn't mentioned yet that it would be a gift, but she didn't want to correct him if he was right.

"We have silver and gold-plated. I can do a gold one as well but the discount doesn't apply to those, so which one would it be?"

She thought back on the necklace Mr. Chastain wore earlier and she was pretty sure it had been a silver one. "Silver, please."

"Alright, a silver one," the man replied as he opened a drawer and took out a box. He carefully opened it before turning it around for her to see. "And which pendant would you like?"

She inspected them all briefly but her eyes fell on a simple round one. It wasn't too big, and it wasn't too small. It would be perfect.

"This one," she said as she pointed out the one she liked.

"Excellent choice," confirmed solemnly but she was sure he was just trying to butter her up now. "And what would the engraving say?"

Ava had spent a little time thinking about it. Since she'd spent her entire childhood at a catholic orphanage she was more than familiar with Latin. The nuns spent a lot more time on bible studies than any other useful skill she might need and in the end, she didn't even turn out religious.

But there was one phrase that had always stood out to her. She'd read it once in a dusty old book that had been discarded in one of the cabinets, but it had stuck with her.

"Aut inveniam viam aut faciam," she replied. I will either find a way or make one.

She was sure it'd fit him as well, you didn't get as far in life as he had if he hadn't been willing to attempt the impossible. It was the first thing she'd thought of when she thought of a phrase for him.

"Oh? Latin? We usually only get 'carpe diem's," he laughed. "What does it mean?"

"I will either find a way or make one," she replied sheepishly.

"Very beautiful. I'm afraid I don't know how to spell any of those words though. Would you mind writing it down?"

After finishing writing it down and double-checking it she handed the notepad back to the jeweler who set to work. He finished it a lot faster than she'd expected, making her fear that it would be badly made or that it'd contain a spelling error.

But those doubts disappeared as soon as he showed her the final product. It was beautiful. Even better than she'd dare expect.

"It's gorgeous, thank you so much."

"Oh, it's nothing," he replied casually. But she swore she could see traces of a blush on the old man's face."

She quickly paid before leaving but not before thanking him again for the pendant. She had to admit that spending money did hurt a little bit, especially when she knew how fast it could run out when she'd lose her job.

But she needed to do this. Just thanking him wouldn't be enough.

She didn't know what else to do in the town at the moment and she decided that she'd had enough fresh air anyway. After bidding the man goodbye she opened the door only to find it pouring outside. Just her luck.

She could either try and wait it out or buy an umbrella, but she'd already spent too much money and needed to save the rest. The sky didn't look like it would clear anytime soon and she needed to be back before dinner.

With a sigh, she stepped out to start the long journey home while trying to ignore the icy coldness of the rain. If she caught a cold because of this she was sure she'd really die of embarrassment.