29

Hermione felt like with each step she took closer to the house, the more her body felt like it was being squeezed by a large hand. It was hard to breathe when she entered the house. She kept herself in between Fenrir and Scabior as she kept a hold of Fenrir's hand. She didn't want  to be there. She wanted to turn around and run as fast as she could to escape from this nightmare of a house. But she held her ground. She didn't want to leave them when they needed her most. 

They finally reached the door of the parlor where they met up with Narcissa and Lucius, who stood outside like two statues. They were about to enter when Lucius held out his cane, nearly hitting her in the face. 

"Only Hermione and Lyle are allow in." Lucius claimed. 

"I beg your pardon, but they don't go in without us." Scabior growled, taking a step forward like he was ready to tear Lucius's face off or something. Lucius returned the glare. 

"It's what the Dark Lord demanded." Lucius stated to him. 

"Enough of this," Grandfather hissed, "I want this meeting to be over with." 

Without any warning, Grandfather had taken hold of her arm and began leading her into the room. She peered over her shoulder in time to see Fenrir and Scabior looking at her with concern before the door shut on their faces. Hermione and Lyle both walked to the center of the room, but noticed it was completely empty except for a burning fire in the fireplace. Hermione's head jolted up when she saw Nagini slithering across the ground towards them. Her heart began to pound within her chest as she listened to the sound of footsteps coming into the room. From the corner of her eyes, she saw Voldemort walking into the room. 

"I hope that this surprise meeting didn't leave you two in any inconvenience." The Dark Lord said a bit too cheery. Lyle cleared his throat as he took a step forward. 

"Not at all. Just came as a... surprise. I would have thought you would prefer to never see us again since you are so against Half Breeds." Lyle stated, holding his strong demeanor as he kept between her and the Dark Lord, "So may I ask why did you request my granddaughter's and my appearance for today." 

The Dark Lord stood there for a bit before he began to pace around the room. Lyle moved along with him, making sure that The Dark Lord kept his distance from her. 

"On the night we met, there was something familiar about you that kept me wondering who you were. It kept bothering me because it was on the tip of my tongue but still completely out of my reach. I couldn't find a way to explain it. That was until I examined my family tree... and there it was... Lyle Gaunt." The Dark Lord stated. Hermione's eyes widened as she turned to look at her Grandfather. She knew who that last name belonged to. It was the last name of Marvolo and Merope Gaunt, the mother and grandfather of The Dark Lord. 

"What's going on?" Hermione asked Lyle. Lyle turned to answer when Voldemort waved his wand around. 

"Go ahead, Lyle. Explained to Hermione how you are my uncle and that she's my cousin." Voldemort dared to him. Hermione's felt stunned as she kept her eyes glued on Lyle. 

"Am I seriously related to him?" Hermione asked her Grandfather while pointing at Voldemort, staring in disbelief at what she was hearing. Lyle clicked his tongue. 

"It seems, sadly, yes he is part of our family tree." Lyle admitted before glaring at Voldemort, "Is that why we're here? So I can confirm to you that I'm your uncle? Well Yes! Yes, I'm your uncle and she's your cousin. Would you like me to tell you why the family removed me from the tree? Why they disowned me? It's because I was bit! They didn't even bat one eye before they tossed me to the side! Just like your father turned his back on you! Just like your grandfather turned his back on you!" 

Hermione noticed that Voldemort's face was starting to twist from a look of smug to a face of sorrow. However, Lyle didn't seemed to noticed as he kept his rant going. 

"But unlike you, boy, I learned to turn my curse into a blessing. I didn't stand around blaming one group of people  or the other group of people for my failures! I didn't stand around thinking I was better than people because I was a pureblood. I made myself better than everyone else by proving them I was better! I said to damn with their prejudice thoughts and lifestyle and I embraced my inner wolf. I learned the ways of the Werewolf and I became an Alpha for an army of over a thousand werewolves because of this so called disease for centuries! I outlived everyone of my family members and trust me when I tell you I'll outlive you too! And you want to know something else? At least I made something of myself! But what about you? You just go around flinging your wand about lying to yourself and to everyone that you are a great wizard and for what? Because you're a half-blood? Guess what? You're not worth shit! Hermione has proven herself better worthy of being a wizard than you ever will be!" Lyle screamed at him. Lyle then stormed pass Voldemort while heading towards the door. He laid his hand against the knob but before he turned it, he glared at the back of Voldemort's head. 

"I'm glad you changed your name, boy. Because I am completely ashamed to call you my nephew. And you are not worthy of the name Gaunt... And I do not want to see your face around me or my pack or Hermione again." Lyle growled then opened the door, "Come on Hermione, this meeting is over!" 

For a moment, Hermione just stood there, froze to her spot. She had no idea how to react to her Grandfather's harsh words. Hermione then found her will to move her feet as she slowly walked towards Lyle. She paused a moment when she stood beside Voldemort, taking a quick glance to see his eyes were littered with tears, then scurried over to the door without saying a word.