36

The drive for me was weird because MaDlamini insisted baba drive with her and I really wanted him to drive with us. I had to explain to Sicelo that he would see his dad and brothers and he wasn't happy about it at all. He put his earphones in and ignored me the whole trip. I felt bad for springing this on him when he wasn't ready but I knew I had to protect him.

We got to the Gumede homestead and the girls jumped out of the car and immediately started playing. Sicelo was clinging onto me like never before. Baba and MaDlamini walked our way. "What's wrong my boy?" Moses asked bending down to his level. Sicelo just stayed quiet. "It's okay. You don't have to talk about it." A group of boys came to fetch our luggage and we went inside and Sicelo wouldn't let me go.

The girls somehow convinced Sicelo to go play while we had a meeting. MaDlamini and I sat at Moses's feet on grass mats listening to the elders. "I've never gotten a cleansing ceremony organized so quickly. It's unheard of but I fully understand why it needs to be done. We are very eager to have you as part of our family. So we want to finish the marriage rites so nobody can dispute it or throw it in your face." I saw MaDlamini roll her eyes

"Don't worry about it though. We have everything sorted and the cleansing will take place tomorrow." Tomorrow? That's fast.

The very next day Moses and I did the cleansing ceremony. It was successful and I was just glad we could move on from this.

"Sicelo! Lunch is ready! Call the others." All though one of the other Makoti's from Moses's cousin did the cooking for the family, I was assigned the role of cooking for the kids. Their table was set up outside and I had already dished for them and let their food cool down.

They all sat down to eat and I went inside to check on Buhle. I got the usual glares from all the other wives of Moses's cousins. I ignored it and went to find Buhle. She was laying in bed awake. "Hi baby. Did you have a nice nap?" She giggled and stretched her hands out to me.

"Makoti! MaZulu!" I made my way to where I heard Ma's voice. "Ma?" I found her in the kitchen with the other ladies. "The kettle has broken. Please start a fire and boil water to make sure there's tea for after lunch." She said and I was getting weird looks. I had a suspicion I was being tested. "Okay ma, I'll go start the fire."

I tied Buhle to my back with her blanket and started the fire. I didn't want to go back into the full house and ask for water so I just went to the tap up the road while I waited for the wood to burn. I used the huge pot so there would be enough for everyone and started preparing my cups and teapots. I prepared my trays and waited for the water. I fed Buhle while I was waiting and afterwards served tea like it took zero effort.

The 'cousins' seemed to hate me even more after that. They stood in a group outside watching me gather dishes to wash outside. "MaZulu, these bitches didn't dish for me and all the food is apparently finished. Is there still some of the food left that you made for the kids?" MaDlamini asked and it was the first time she spoke to me since we got here. "Yes, I'll make you a plate." She followed me inside and I dished her some food.

"There's still some salad left from the lunch. Do you want some of that?" I said looking in the fridge for some juice. "No thank you! I might choke!" She said loudly and my eyes went wide. "What? They already hate me." I took out the juice and the microwave went off. "Here's the juice. Let me get your food." I got her food and cutlery and put it down in front of her. "I don't think they like me either." I said softly looking down at my hands.

"They don't. Its because you're marrying Moses. Moses's money controls this family and they didn't know that before they married their deadbeat husband's. They heard Gumede and ran down the isle without knowing they'd be broke."

"MaDlamini." I said in shock. "What? It's true. You need to start growing a thicker skin. These bitches are probably out to get you." I left her to eat and went to finish the dishes. I heard a big commotion in the house.

"Here she is. I'm starting dinner now and since you're cooking for the kids you'll have to cook outside. The kitchen isn't big enough for the both of us." One of the ladies that's in charge of cooking for the family said. "I don't know who you think you are but this is my house, MaZulu is my daughter-in-law, and she will cook in my kitchen." MaRadebe jumped in. "It's fine, Ma. I'll cook outside." I said softly. "Thank you! At least she has some sense."

I almost rolled my eyes. Luckily I left the fire going early. I got outside and the fire was out and all the wood was wet. I couldn't believe it. MaDlamini was right. These bitches were out to get me.

"Mamakhe?" I was going through the pile of wood to see if there wasn't at least a few that were dry and before I even realized I was crying. "Mamakhe?" I wiped my tears and stood up. "Is everything okay?" Moses asked and I nodded. "Then why are you crying? Don't lie to me." I let out a sigh and shook my head. "I'm fine. I just need to go gather some more wood." He took my hand in his. "How can I help?" I shook my head. "I'm fine. I'll do it myself." He looked extremely worried and I just started walking to where I could get wood.

The kids ate late but luckily Moses brought them some snacks from his trip to the city today. I was sitting on my bed after I cleaned up with tears running down my face. I couldn't get a break. "Moses! What the hell!?" Baba stormed into my room pulling MaDlamini by her arm. "I told you it wasn't me!" She yelled and I wiped my tears away.

"I felt the wood. It was wet. Why would it be wet if it didn't rain!?" Baba asked and MaDlamini rolled her eyes. "It wasn't her." I said and Moses scoffed. "Don't try and defend her." I shook my head. "I'm not. She was in the room with me and the other ladies before it happened. I don't know who it was but it wasn't MaDlamini."

"Thank you! Can I go now!?" He just nodded. "Mamakhe what's going on?" He asked softly and bent down in front of me. "I'm just tired." I said and he came to sit next to me. He held me and I couldn't help but cry. "I hate seeing you unhappy. We are getting married this weekend. This should be the happiest time of your life."

There was a knock on our door. "It's me. I'm coming in." I heard the door open and close. "What's going on? What did Nozipho do this time?" The room went silent but I just stayed  in Moses's arms. "Ma, I don't understand why you're allowing those woman to take over. Nozipho and Zethu are your daughters but they're being treated like crap in their own home.

"Moses what are you talking about?" She asked and he started rubbing my back. "They're overworking her and on top of that they're sabotaging her tasks. Not once have I seen her sit down to rest today. I'm not even sure if she ate. MaDlamini is hiding out in her room and they refuse to give her food. The only food she got today was from MaZulu this afternoon."

"Moses? Are you serious?" He just sighed. "I'm afraid so. Tomorrow, I'm taking MaDlamini home. She needs to get back to work. MaZulu will come with us. We'll go grocery shopping for the rest of the week and she needs a break from those women."

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I'll sort this out tomorrow. I'll go make some tea and warm food for the two of them." I washed my face and straightened out my apron when she left. Moses came up behind me and held me. "Don't look so worried." I said looking at him in the mirror. "How could I not be. My mother is supposed to be looking out for the two of you when I'm not here. I left for half a day only to come back and find you misserable." I kissed his cheek. "We'll be fine, Baba. I just needed a good cry." He held me tighter.

"I love you, Mamakhe."
"I love you too, Baba."