22

I was in my room in pain. I didn't know what to do. I didn't have a pump and I didn't have Buhle. I couldn't do it anymore. I took my bra off for some relief but it did nothing.  Even just touching them hurt.

"Oh, sorry. I didn't realize." Fikile came in and left immediately. "Ma!" She stuck her head through the door. "I need help." I said and finally broke down. "What wrong?" She asked worried. "I need to pump my milk urgently." She realized what was going on. "Okay. Let me ask the younger wives for a breast pump." She left and I wrapped myself in a towel.

"Veronica wait.  Don't go in there now. I'll call when all is clear just give us the room for a few minutes." I heard Ma say before she came in. "Here, it's not automatic but it'll do." I thanked her and she left. I pumped my milk and finally felt some relief. That's something I never want to feel in my life ever again.

I got dressed and let them back into the room. "Thank you, Ma." She hugged me and I hugged her back. "Anytime my child." She left and Veronica made herself comfortable on the bed. I guess it was her bed after all.

"So, Buhle will be dropped off here in a couple of hours." I was relieved. I missed her so much. "Finally! A damn smile. The chief insisted I stay here and not at home so we'll be sharing a room. The rest of the boys get back tomorrow so it's going to be really crazy around here. You'll see."

Veronica and I were called downstairs to help with dinner. We were chopping and pealing vegetables. "Zethu, if you don't mind me asking, where is your mother?" Gugu asked. "Gugu, leave that child alone." Fikile scolded her. "No, it's fine ma. I haven't seen my mother in twelve years. They all looked confused.

"No Zethu. That can't be right. Your mother left here and you were eleven going on twelve. Your brother was only a few months old. What do you mean you haven't seen her in twelve years? We haven't seen her in twelve years. She must've stuck around for you and your brother." Thandeka said and I continued pealing my vegetables.

"No, she left us. We got to Durban, built a shack. We were there for a few weeks and then she left to tour with some singer. I haven't seen her since." They were all shocked. Gugu even had her hands up in the air. "Did she take you brother? Is that where he is?" Fikile asked hopefully. "No, she left him with me." They let out gasps and cries.

"Why would Zandile do this?!" Fikile cried and came over to me and held me. "Why wouldn't she just bring you back?!" She cried holding me. All of them were crying and I couldn't help it. Silent tears flowed from my face. We were joined by my brother's and father who wanted to know what was going on.

"Somebody! Tell me!" He yelled and I wiped my tears. "Zandile..." Gugu tried but she couldn't get it out. "Zandile took the children only to abandon them as few weeks later. Zethu and Sicelo have seen her in years." Thandeka who was more calm told him.

"That doesn't make any sense. Zethu was eleven and Sicelo was a baby. Zandile wouldn't leave her child to look after her baby. No." He was shocked. He had to take a seat. "Where's Sicelo now? Is he still alive?" I nodded. "He's at boarding school." Everyone was relieved. After the shock we finished cooking and had dinner.

I waited by the window after dinner. When the cat pulled I tried running outside but I was held back. "Veronica, go fetch the child." My father said and she did as she was told. This was really unnecessary. It's not like I would try and run away.

Buhle was halfway asleep. "Hi baby. Hey. Are you sleepy? Mm? Are you sleepy?" She giggled and threw herself on my chest and squealed. "You missed me? I missed you too." I kissed her forehead. "Finally! A smile! We should've gotten the baby earlier." One of the wives joked.

Buhle didn't want to look at anyone or have anyone touching her she just wanted to lay on my chest. I took her up to the room I was sharing with Veronica and we played on the bed.

Veronica came in and got clothes out of the cupboard. "I hear you're getting married." I said and she just smiled. "Yes, I am. Your brothers can't keep anything to themselves. They're worse than a bunch of girls." I laughed and Buhle laughed too as if she knew what was going on. She went to take a shower and I decided to call Moses.

"Hello, Mamakhe. I thought I would see you but Veronica told me your father wouldn't let you come outside." I just sighed. "He's being really unreasonable. He even tried to get me to do some ceremony and I just don't want to go through all of that drama."
"Mamakhe about that. He sent a messenger to tell us to come over tomorrow morning. We've been trying to figure it out why since we got the message. Do you know what that's about?"

I knew exactly what it was about but I was scared he might not react the way I want him to. What if he doesn't want the baby? What if he doesn't believe it's his? What about Nozipho? "Mamakhe, are you still there?"
"Yes, I'm still here. Baba I have something to tell you." I don't know why I was scared. This is what I wanted. "I'm pregnant." There was a short moment of silence before I heard a scream. I had to move the phone from my ear. "Ma! Ma! Zethu and I are having a baby!" I heard through the phone. I heard some more screaming and singing.

The phone call died and he called back on video call. "Oh Zethu! You've made me so happy!" She started singing band dancing. "Congratulations!" She screamed at the top of her lungs. They celebrated and Buhle and I just laughed at them.

"What is happening over there?" Veronica asked coming out of the bathroom. "I'm getting another grandbaby!" Ma screamed and I couldn't help but laugh. "You're pregnant?" I nodded and she jumped on me.