12

For the next week we were living on almost zero sleep. Buhle had to be fed every two hours and Moses would sit up with me and help in anyway he could. I could see it was taking a toll on Moses so I got Buhle before she started crying and let him sleep.

I was absolutely in love with this little girl. She was the cutest thing and she was stuck to my hip. She wouldn't allow anyone else to touch her.

She complained and whimpered when she woke up but when she saw me she calmed down and just looked at me. "Good morning, Baby." I said and she cooed. We spoke back and forth while I was getting her milk ready.

There was a knock on the door and I made sure my gown was tied before I checked who it was. It was Moses's mother and sister. "Morning." I said to them and let them in. "Sorry I'm not dressed yet. We just woke up." I said and they had suitcases with them. "No,it's fine.  We're really early. We just brought some of her stuff so she can be more comfortable. Where is Moses. We've come to say goodbye. I'm needed at my house in the village."

How many houses does this woman have? "He's still sleeping, Ma. Let me go wake him." She reached out for Buhle and luckily the little girl was in a good mood and she went to her grandmother. I went into our room and put the light on. "Baba." I said softly placing kisses all over his face. "Now, this is how a man should be woken up." He said pulling me on top of him. "Baba, wait. Your mother is here." I said and he groaned. "She's here with Veronica. They've come to say goodbye."

He looked at me skeptically and I got off him. I handed him his gown and slippers and we went into the living room where Veronica was bringing more of Buhle's things in. "Ma, what's going on?" He asked and we all took a seat. "Veronica needs to go back to her late husband's family just to check on them and I've been called back because a pipe burst at home. Son, this day was coming anyway. I can't stay in the city forever. I have a home to look after."

He sighed and sat back in his seat. Did I hear properly. Veronica had a husband? Wow, she was so young and she was a widow. I couldn't believe it. "I understand, Ma. I'll miss you." We said our goodbyes and they left. The whole house was full of baby supplies.

After breakfast I started sorting all of it. "Mamakhe, I was thinking we move Buhle into the room across from us and then we can prepare the other room for your brother." He said and I couldn't believe it. He was thinking of my brother? I thought he wouldn't care. "Really?" I asked and he nodded. "Yes, it is your house." I forgot that I owned it.

"Okay. I just want to make sure the room is cleaned properly. Nobody has been living here so it's a bit dust. Once I'm done we can start setting the room up." He agreed. We spent the day cleaning and I couldn't believe he was helping me. He set up her cot and a changing table and packed away all her clothes and supplies. We were exhausted by the end of the day but luckily Buhle went to sleep early.

We were kissing on the couch and he started taking my clothes off. "Baba, wait." I stopped him and he looked disappointed. "Mamakhe I told you I won't do anything you don't want me too." I just sighed. "I know but my conscience is killing me. We've already crossed the line so many times. I don't want to be known as a..." He stopped me before I could finish.

"Mamakhe don't think like that. You know what my wife did to me and even though I'm accepting the children I can never take her back again. Never. I'm waiting for her to come back and then we'll start the divorce process. Please bear with me. I'll make an honest woman out of you I swear. You're the love of my life. Everything I've been craving in a wife. You're my peace. Please don't think if yourself like that."

I was getting emotional. Was I falling for this man too? "Baba, it's just that the last man I was with didn't treat me well. He said he loved and he'd look after me but he was only using me for sex." I admitted. Part of that was true. Dumisani was using me for sex but I was using him for money.

"Mamakhe, look at me. Look at me." I looked up at him with my sad eyes. "I love you with every fibre of my being and I'll prove it to you everyday. When I say I'll take care of you and your brother I mean it. I'll take care of your every need and want and I'll wait for you as long as it takes. As long as it takes. Just having you in my arms is a dream come true. Just look what you're doing for my daughter. How can I not love you after that. You saved her and you saved me and I can't thank you enough."

I laid my head on his chest. "I love you so much, Baba. I'm sorry I doubted you. All of this just seems like a dream come true for me." We fell asleep on the couch that night.

Buhle was doing great and I was still on my medications. I was counting the days until I could start producing milk even though there was no guarantee. Moses and I sat down and worked out a budget for Sicelo and I was so happy my brother would be comfortable at school. He even upgraded his meal plan. Moses started working from home and when I asked him what he did he said he ran a finance department for a very big company. I knew it was a lie but I just went along with it.

I was so happy when my milk finally came in. I still needed to use the nursing aid and I had to massage my breast to stimulate milk supply but Moses liked doing that part. Buhle was getting big. She was six months old and her grandmother came to visit and bring her gifts.

I was getting ready for bed when Moses said he needed to talk to me. I sat on the floor in front of him. "I still can't get hold of Nozipho, my wife and there's a short school holiday coming up. It's only a week. My mother is taking the girls as she usually does at this time of the year. But this has gotten me thinking. I have a very big favour to ask you."

He sighed before he continued. I could see he was scared. "I know we're not married yet and I am planning to marry you... But I just wanted to ask you... I wanted to ask you if you'd be willing to step in as the girls' mother if Nozipho never comes back?" I looked up at him with a soft smile. I could tell he was hurting so I got up and hugged him. "Of course I would Baba. I love you. I'll do anything for you." I kissed him and he kissed back holding me tightly.

"No woman has ever loved me the way you do."