20

Ma was more excited than I was. A week later I was still in shock. I was actually getting married to one of the richest men in Africa. Never in my wildest dreams have I ever thought anything like this would happen to me.

But Nozipho still refused to sign the divorce papers. Moses tried throwing her out of the house but she came back with a lawyer stating she still had the legal right to stay here. She was never in our way. We hardly saw her. She didn't even have meals with us.

We were sitting down to eat and Nozipho actually joined us this time. Veronica and Ma were also there. She had a weird smile on her face and I just knew something was wrong. "I'm expecting guests. I hope it's no trouble." She said but nobody paid her any attention. He phone went off and she smiled like she won the lottery. "Oh, they're here!"

She ran to the door. A few minutes later my whole body went into shock as I heard that loud voice. I will never forget it. Two men walked into the room. One was singing clan praises while the other followed behind. I couldn't believe my eyes. I thought I would never see them again.

Ma and Veronica got up and bowed. How did they know him? They greeted and the two men took a seat. "Chief, what brings you here?" Ma asked the man. "Your family has disrespected me MaRadebe. So much so that we will be discussing a fine, but for now I've come to collect my daughter." My heart was beating at triple the rate and my whole body was frozen.

"Chief, but I informed Ma that I was coming to the city before I left. I said goodbye to everyone. I didn't think it would be a problem." Veronica said and I was completely confused. How was she his daughter. "No, Makoti. I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about my daughter, Ziphozethu." Everyone's eyes fell on me and I felt like I couldn't breathe.

"Zethu, get your things I'm taking you home." It was all too much for me. I felt the tears tun down my face. "No." I managed to get out. "Zethu! I will drag you out of here! Living like this is a disgrace! I can't leave you here. Especially now that I've finally found you. You're coming home. After twelve long years your finally coming home. Lets go." The tears continued falling.

"I'm not going anywhere with you." I said softly trying to control my breathing. The whole table was confused. "Zethu I will drag you out of here. I do not care but you will not continue living with a man almost double your age who is already married. Is that what you are now? A mistress? Thabo, go get her." I jumped out of my seat but my brother was too fast. He got me and held onto my arm.

Moses jumped up and held onto my other arm. "Let her go! She's a grown woman. You can't just come in here and take her!" Baba yelled. "Listen here, the only way you are ever going to see her again is if you let her go right now. We will discuss the fine at a later stage and then if you ever want to see her again you'll pay lobola and marry her. I have five bodyguards outside. I only left them there because I thought you and your family will have the decency to give my daughter back after you turned her into your slave!"

He texted on his phone and five big men dressed in black came in. I was terrified and I knew there was no way of getting out of the situation. "Baba, let go." I whispered to Moses. He looked at me and I just nodded. "Let go." He loosened his grip. "okay, but I'm coming to get you okay. I'm coming to get you. I promise."

I was allowed to pack my things. "Ma, what about Buhle? Please, Ma. Can you please try and speak to him. I can't leave Buhle here." I cried in her arms. "Shh, Zethu. Veronica and I will follow behind you guys in a car. We live in your father's village. We'll bring Buhle with us and once he has you home we'll explain everything. We can work this out okay. Don't panic. We'll come get you. Stay calm and go with them. It's going to be okay."

I listened to her and I got my suitcase. One of those men took it and I followed my brother out. They didn't even allow me to say goodbye to Moses. I sat silently in a car with my father as we left the city. "Zethu, I'm not the bad guy here. You know living with a man before marriage is frowned upon in our culture. To make matters worse he is married." I rolled my eyes. "You have four wives and and nine sons. Who are you to talk?"

He just chuckled. "Six wives, sixteen sons, one daughter, and one daughter-in-law." That's when it all came together. "Veronica?" I asked and I knew. I just knew. He nodded. "Veronica told me her husband died." It was the first time I looked him in the eye. "Themba." Was all he said. Themba was my eldest brother. I grew up with him before my mother took us away.

It felt like I couldn't breathe. I forced the lump in my throat down as I stared out of the window trying to control my emotions. I wiped the stray tear that escaped and focused on my breathing. I couldn't handle anything else at the moment. I was so focused on not breaking down that I didn't realize we stopped.

"Zethu. You're home." I looked at the house infront of me and it looked nothing like the house I left. The small house surrounded by huts was no more. In front of me stood a big double story surrounded by high walls.

"Let's go inside. Fikile and the wives have been waiting for us." My brother opened my door and I got out. He sang our clan praises and shouted that the princess has returned. Woman ran to the door where we entered. I recognized three of them as my father's wives. I had never met the other two before.

"She's as beautiful as her mother." Fikile my father's first wife said. They all just stared at me. "Are you all going to let us in or are you just going to stare?" They made way and I followed Fikile. She was the only one I remembered fondly. The other two didn't mistreat me. They just never were around and when they were they absolutely hated my mother.

We all sat in the kitchen. "I saved you a plate. It's quite late and I wasn't sure when you'd return." Fikile said excitedly. "Thank you Ma, but I've eaten." She nodded and took a seat. There was an awkward silence before my father started talking. "It's two in the morning. We should all get to bed. We have a lot to discuss." They all agreed and Fikile led me to a room upstairs.

"The boys are all out of town. We've sent the younger ones to their grandmothers. Your older brother's will be joining us for breakfast." She opened a door for me and I walked in. On the wall above the bed was a picture of Themba and Veronica in their traditional clothes. I assumed it was their wedding day. "Your father informed me that he told you we lost Themba." I just nodded. "Okay, your bag is already here. There's a bathroom through that door. Goodnight Zethu." She said and left.

I checked my phone but the battery was flat. I put it on charge and went to sleep. There was a soft knock on my door. I groaned at the sunlight when I opened my eyes a little. "Wake up. Sleepy head." I recognized the voice. "Veronica?" I asked sitting up and rubbing my eyes. "Yes. You're in my room you know?" She said playfully.

"Buhle?" I asked and she took a seat on the bed. "She's okay. I just spoke to the chief about her. He's confused but is willing to listen." I just nodded. She left me to take a shower and get dressed. I was making the bed when Fikile came in. "Good morning." She said and started helping me. "Morning." I responded. "We're about to have breakfast. Your brothers are very excited to see you." I didn't say anything. We just finished making the bed and I followed her downstairs.

My five older brother's sat at the table with the wives, my father and Veronica. I took the only open seat next to Veronica. "Good morning everyone. Zethu, do you remember Fikile, Gugu and Thando?" I just nodded and they smiled. "Well this is Busi, my fifth wife after your mother and Thandeka my sixth." They also just smiled.

"These idiots are your brother's. You remember them right? Thulani, Thabo, Mpilo, Msizi and Malusi." Again I didn't say anything. "If Themba were here he would have something nice to say and he would've given a grand speech, but all I have to say is welcome home sister. We've been waiting for this moment for years." Everyone agreed and I still said nothing.

My father cleared his throat awkwardly.

"Since we're being met with so much hostility in our own home, I guess we should get down to business. First things first, remove that ring from your finger. You are not engaged until that man has paid lobola for your hand in marriage."