(196): Staying Up

Young Sibling Hiro x Reader that I randomly thought of. ^-^

(Unedited).

It's a Friday, and you and your family just left school. You're in third grade. You're sitting next to your older brothers, Tadashi and Hiro. Hiro is just a few months older. Tadashi is a few years.

You love both of them, but you've always been closer to Hiro. Even before Tadashi decided to be mature and act like a grown up earlier than kids usually do, you always stayed around Hiro. He's your best friend.

"Alright, kiddos. Another week of school is done! I say we celebrate. Pizza?"

You, Hiro, and Tadashi erupt into cheers. Aunt Cass joins in. "Yeah, pizza!" She says enthusiastically.

You suddenly get an idea that has always crossed your mind, you just never had a chance to tell Hiro. You lean over and whisper in Hiro's ear, "I have an idea."

Hiro's eyes widen with curiosity. "What is it?"

"We can stay up all night," You say. "No sleep."

"No sleep?" Hiro asks.

"Nope."

"Then how do we stay awake?" He asks.

"We can spend our allowance on candy!" You whisper back. "Gummy bears!"

Hiro grins. "That's a good idea! Okay." He clears his throat and asks sweetly, "Aunt Cass? Could we go to a store, too? I want to buy some candy."

-

Later that night, just at the regular weekend time, Aunt Cass says, "Time for bed!"

You pretend to be upset, but you find it hard to be at the exciting thought of staying up all night.

You curl up in your bed and pull the covers over your head. Hiro climbs into his bed and does the same. He stuffs the candy underneath his pillow when Aunt Cass isn't looking. Tadashi lays back against his pillows and reads through a book about doctors. Aunt Cass leaves Tadashi's reading light on and shuts the bedroom door.

You pretend to be asleep until Tadashi is snoring and the light is off. You lay still, trying to slow your breathing. As soon as Aunt Cass turns the TV off you'll jump into Hiro's bed. You wait. And wait. And wait. Just as you're about to doze off, the house is silent. You shove the covers off of you and listen to Aunt Cass's footsteps as she walks to her room. She shuts her door quietly. Ten minutes later, she's snoring.

You climb out of bed. "Hiro, Hiro!" You whisper.

Hiro sits up. "She's asleep?"

"Yeah. Listen." You hold your hand up to Hiro's mouth so he'll listen.

Aunt Cass snores loudly, making you and Hiro laugh.

"Okay. Candy?"

"Yes, please!"

Hiro hands you (favorite_candy). You open the wrapper and start eating. Hiro digs into a bag of gummy bears. "Oh, hang on." He pick up his blanket and covers you and him with it until it forms a tent over yours and his heads. He grabs a flashlight and turns it on. "There."

"Cool," You whisper.

You eat in silence for a while. "Are you tired?" Hiro asks.

"No," You lie.

"Me neither," He says.

"What are we supposed to do?" You ask.

"Um, we can build robots!"

"That's noisy. We'll wake up 'Dashi and Aunt Cass."

"You're right. We can. . . talk?"

"Okay."

You lean against Hiro, listening to his stories about school. After a while, your eyes start close.

"___?" Hiro asks.

"Hmmm?"

"Are you sleepy?"

"Hmm. . . no," You breathe.

"Are you sure?"

"Hmm. . . no."

"You don't want to stay up?"

"I am staying up," You say.

"No you're not. You're going to sleep. And you're in my bed. And you're laying on the gummy bears!" You don't respond. "___?"

Hiro looks over and sighs. You're asleep. He turns off the flashlight and leans against you. "Goodnight," He yawns.

~

The next day, Aunt Cass goes into the room to wake you up. "Rise and shine, kiddos! I've got cinnamon rolls and donuts from the cafe set aside for you! Come on. Up, up, up!" She pulls the covers off of your bed. "___?"

She walks to Hiro's bed and pulls off the covers. Candy wrappers fall off of the bed and scatter around her feet. She sighs in annoyance, then looks at where you and Hiro are curled up together. Her expression softens. "Aw," She murmurs. She softly shakes you. You open your eyes. "Did you have a party last night?"

"Mmhmm."

"You forgot to clean it up, huh?" She laughs.

"Sorry, Aunt Cass," Hiro says.

"Just clean it up. I've got movies set out and donuts on the counter. And we're having hot wings for dinner. We can have a movie night later, but I'll have to leave  early because it's beat poetry night."

You smile. "Can't I sleep a little longer?"

Aunt Cass laughs. "Yeah, but just a little longer. And no more staying up late, okay?"

"Okay," You and Hiro say at the same time.

When Aunt Cass leaves the room, Hiro says, "We're going to try to stay up late again tonight, right?"

"Totally," You say just before you fall asleep.