Chapter forty-three

The light coming through the window woke me up

The light coming through the window woke me up. I opened my eyes, seeing the sun shining bright, completely changing the weather from the rain and thunder last night. I picked my phone up from the nightstand and to my relief, Leo hadn't called or messaged.

I didn't want him to. I didn't want to see his name pop up and break myself by not answering. It was far too much to take.

I sat up, stretching my hands out, and got out of the bed. I walked into the bathroom and turned to the mirror above the sink.

I saw the past me. The past me that lived with Damon. The puffy eyes, the tired face with the dark circles. I wasn't myself. Maybe my body wasn't bruised or hurting externally but inside I was dead and broken.

I splashed my face with water and tried to cover my face with make-up. I put four layers of foundation under my eyes and I could still see the dark circles. I gave up.

Who cares? My life is a mess right now. If I'm going through things, people should mind their own goddamn business.

I stepped out of the bathroom and changed my clothes. I wore light blue jeans, a white sweater, white sneakers as well as white socks. I put my hair up in a high ponytail and took the golden necklace out of under the sweater to place it on top of it. It was a tracker. Leo knew where I was at all times. But it was a reminder of him. I couldn't take it off.

"Morning, sunshine!" Aileen's voice came through the door.

"Hey," I responded.

"Can I come in?"

"Yeah," I moved to my bed and quickly made it look decent. I looked up to see my sister. Her light blond hair had slight curls, she wore her glasses with a gold, metallic trim, and wore a tight-fitting, black dress with white sneakers. I smiled at her.

"How are you?" She asked as she approached me. She planted her hands on my shoulders, making me look at her.

"Shit. I feel terrible." She pulled me into a hug, caressing my forearm.

"I'm so sorry this is happening. I just don't want you to go to him. I can't let you do it," I looked up at her. The only reason I wanted to, was because I had to get De back. I would've trusted Leo to take him down if De wasn't in danger. She was in this mess and I had to fix it. Besides, the constant fear that Leo might get hurt for good one day, lingered in the back of my mind, making me lose sleep.

"It's not your fault. And I know, it's not the best thing, but it has to be done. If you help me, it would be even better. I don't need you to show up to him, but I want you to help me escape the place after I get De. Maybe even make him and his men worry about something else elsewhere. That way we have more freedom to escape."

"I know. That's what I was thinking of doing. We just need to think precisely of every detail and everything that may go wrong. Barlowe lost you for more than two months, he'll want to make sure he keeps you for good," I nodded.