Chapter thirty-eight

My eyes were puffy and dry

My eyes were puffy and dry. Something I haven't felt for ages. It's been two days since I found out about De, got engaged, got divorced and about four days since I got shot.

Eventful, I know.

I was getting better day by day with my wound and today, I wanted to go to the office. Leo almost tied me up to the bed until I slapped him.

Yeah. I slapped Leo.

Why you may ask?

Because I wasn't going to be tied to a bed.

He laughed at me. But then let me do whatever I pleased. The only rule was to stay in his office. He wasn't asking for something difficult or uncomfortable, so I agreed to his terms.

I sat on his desk chair, looking out at the mesmerizing view of the city.

I was too goddamn overwhelmed by everything that was happening. The past few days were without luck in finding anything out about Dena. Nico's been living with us, practically drowning in guilt in the guest bedroom. I couldn't blame him. I was barely functioning right now myself.

The only thing that I wanted was to get out of that apartment and see something else than the same walls and furniture.

Mat's been all over the place. Mostly drinking in our kitchen and working in Leo's office downstairs.

Leo, on the other hand, has barely been home. This morning was the first time I'd seen him in those few days. He's been trying to get a hold of some people and for some reason, I think he was hiding something from me. When I had asked him about these mystery people he smiled at me, kissed my forehead and fell asleep, basically making me overthink my entire relationship with him.

The moment I start thinking of him, my right-hand fingers begin twisting the ring. I glanced down at it, a smile creeping up on my face. The only good thing from this entire situation was Leo. The ring was the prettiest thing I'd ever seen. Never thought that I would ever wear an engagement ring this special or this perfect. Just the fact that Leo designed it himself and put in work to get it, made me happier than ever.

A knock on the door disrupted my thoughts. I turned around in the chair to see Mariana standing in the doorway. Her face was pale, emotionless. I frowned and stood up from my chair.

"Mar? What happened to you?" She wasn't herself. This was not the Mariana I knew. She closed the door and walked over to the desk, tears spilling from her eyes. I walked over to her, wrapping my arms around her, letting her get it all out. "Honey, what's wrong?"

"He..." she manages to blurt out. Sobs filled the room. "He cheated on me," I widened my eyes.

"What? Your husband did that?" She hugged me tightly. My hand gently caressed her head. "Oh, Mariana, I'm so sorry. If he did that it means he doesn't deserve you and that he's a piece of shit. Remember that. There are plenty of men on this planet that are a million times better than that moron. Trust me, I've been through worse," her head pulled away from my chest, lifting up to face me.