Chapter forty-two

I called Aileen after landing and waited inside the jet until she texted me to come out

I called Aileen after landing and waited inside the jet until she texted me to come out. I grabbed my stuff and headed out. I thanked the pilot and after getting out, my eyes started looking around for a girl my height with shoulder-length dirty blond hair.

The darkness made it almost impossible to see anything until I noticed a car pull up further away from me. The driver's door opened and a woman got out. I walked down the stairs and began to slowly move forward. My eyes blurred with each step I took since I recognized her. I didn't even realize when I started running towards her.

"Aella," she said, tears streaming down her cheeks. I hugged her. For the first time in years, I hugged my sister. The familiar scent of hers sent shivers down my body. I pulled away for a brief moment to look at her. I cupped her face.

"Aileen," I smiled, hugging her again. Her hands wrapped tightly around my waist.

"I missed you," she half-whispered.

"I'm so glad you're alive, Lee," I pulled away, holding her hands tightly. I never wanted to let her go ever again. I had to make sure that she would live. I can't bear to imagine the hurt I'd go through if I lose her again.

"We should get going. Damon gets notified when something suspicious is going around. Besides, you left from here, he has spies everywhere," I nodded, picked up my two suitcases and followed her to the back of her car. She opened the trunk of her black BMW, I put my stuff in and walked over to the other side of the car to get inside.

After I buckled up, she got in and drove off shortly.

"How's Brandon?" I asked as we drove out of the airport.

"Good. We have a place on the other side of the city. Far away from him. He works as an IT specialist and I'm a financial analyst," I smiled, looking at her.

"Where?"

"Russo corporation. Their new branch in New York," my eyes slightly widened. Leo never told me that she worked there. Well, maybe he didn't figure it out. Either way, I was too happy to be with her to even care about that. "We started working there last year. It's been going very well, but it's exhausting to hide. My name changed; I don't have any contacts of my friends. Well now, ex-friends. I can't trust them. If he finds out..." he'll kill her.

"What's your name?"

"Lena. Lena Carlson. I took Brandon's last name," I gasped.

"You're married?" She smiled and nodded.

"We got married a few months after we ran away. We stayed in Ottawa for a year before coming back here. It was the best decision, considering the fact that I wasn't going to find anyone else and I loved him with everything I had. He ran away from his life for me," I couldn't stop smiling. "I'm very happy. But I knew that I had to find you. Brandon helped me to find out where you were and he hacked into your phone. That's how I got your number. I know you didn't want to risk it, so you didn't answer. I'm just glad your fiancé looked into it." My smile faded. I turned to the view on my side. I haven't been in New York in a while and I couldn't lie and say I didn't miss it. It's been my home since birth. "Sorry if that..."