Chapter nine

I let her in the car and sat in myself

I let her in the car and sat in myself. I turned the car on and drove off. I tried to keep my eyes off her because my head was going to explode.

"Can you drop me off to get my stuff?" I nodded. "Is there any chance that Dena could come with me?" I furrowed my brows.

"Why is that necessary?" Adena was more than well taken care of. I made sure of it.

"She's my best friend and she moved here for me."

"Call her and ask if she wants that," that was the only logical thing to do. She took out her phone and called Dena.

"Hi, I'm....," I heard Dena rant on the opposite side of the phone. "Can we talk about this later?" She's hiding something. "Where are you staying?" The answer was Matteo's apartment. "Fine, stay safe." She hung up. "Did you know where she'll be?" I nodded. "Why didn't-"

"Why do you think I want to tell you everything?"

"Sorry, I-"

"Just be quiet," I had no intention to talk to her. At least not when I could literally go crazy if I didn't touch or kiss her anytime soon.

————

I stopped at the hotel and looked at her.

"Take this just in case," I took out my gun and handed it to her. "Take it," she shook her head no. "Listen, I don't want to go after you. So please, take it. Just in case something happens." She took it and placed it in her purse. "Be quick." She nodded and got out the door.

I watched her closely as she went inside. It was already dark enough for the street lights to light up and I was not going to let any creeps touch her.

I rolled my window down slightly and took out a cigarette. I only smoked when I was stressed, annoyed or very mad. I wasn't sure what I felt right now but it sure as hell wasn't stress.

I grabbed my lighter from my pocket and lit up the cigarette. I inhaled and tilted my head slightly back.

Why did I have to run into her? Why did I have to cross paths with her back in Paris?

Those were two of many questions about Aella that ran around my brain. I was confused as to why her husband's last name was used.

I had my eye on her throughout the seven years and after Aella married Damon, I knew she didn't legally change her name to his. She kept Aldine as her last name. He most likely used that to draw more attention.

The smoke was burning my throat but I enjoyed it. Ever since I've met Aella, I've gotten more into smoking. The one habit I desperately hated.

I thought that my last girlfriend would finally help me get over her. But Aella got married and made headlines all over the world. I wasn't going to lie to myself. I fell for her. I fell for the girl I couldn't have.