Chapter eight

After Leo had explained everything that I should know, he left for a meeting and let me settle in

After Leo had explained everything that I should know, he left for a meeting and let me settle in. It's been three days since I've run away and I had no clue if this whole situation was made public.

I knew that Damon was smart enough to keep his private life away from the public and this would need to take some time for him to at least try to find me.

Somewhere deep inside me, I hoped he got the hint and left me alone. Maybe moved on.

Oh, mother, no. I couldn't live with the fact that another woman is going through the hell I went through. Maybe will undergo it again after he finds me.

But admitting he was wrong wasn't Damon. That was clearer than the night sky here.

I stood from my seat and went towards the windows. The view was mesmerizing. I've never been in Damon's office because I was never allowed to. "I can't risk you being seen with me," he said to me every time. Each time hurting less than the last. He wasn't afraid of being seen with me. He didn't want me to be exposed to the world. I was like a doll going extinct, so he had to make sure no one touched me apart from him, of course.

I turned around, my eyes scanning the place around me. I didn't snoop on his desk since I'm sure he had cameras in here. I walked around, looking at the similar artwork he had at his penthouse.

I noticed a small lounge area on the right, that I failed to register the last time. The couches were white and the coffee table in between them was made out of glass. I noticed a few magazines. I sat down and took them in my hands. One was all about the newest cars, the other was about business and the last one wasn't a magazine but a newspaper.

"Oh my god," was all I managed to say when I saw the headline and covered my mouth with my hand.

Aella Barlowe, the wife of the CEO of Barlowe corp. - Damon Barlowe, has gone missing.

I ran my eyes through the page and saw an interview that he gave to the newspaper.

"Do you know why that must've happened?"

"No. I have no idea. I'm devastated that she's missing. I miss her. My wife, my love, my light. I can't live without her. It's appalling how she ran away. She had everything. I loved her with everything I had and she ran away. She used me basically."

"NO, I DIDN'T YOU MORON!" I yelled before the door opened. I quickly hid the paper behind me and saw Leonardo walk in.

"What the hell happened?" He said while looking at me, his brows pinched together. "You screamed."

"I just-" His phone began to ring. He took it out and looked at who was calling. He declined and put the phone back into his pocket.

"I just, what, Ella?" My heart began racing. Making up a lie wasn't hard but so unexpectedly? I was no pro at this.