"No one asked you to come with us, Baldorian." Silvia hissed. "And how can you not care that this... this monster is marrying and will soon procreate?"

Baldorian rolled his gray eyes at his wife and looked at his middle son. "Congratulations, Kanneset. Catherine is a great woman for you. I think you're a wonderful match."

"Th-thank you, Father!" he said, bowing. "That... that really means a lot."

Higgs made a face at his uncle's submissive attitude, but his grandfather did give off a very authoritative air about him. Even when he went to visit him in the early years, Higgs was never quite comfortable with him. He was always pleasant and was much, much calmer than his grandmother and aunt, but he just gave off a strong aura. As much as Higgs hated his grandmother, he had respect for Baldorian Northumberly if nothing else because he treated his children with care. He may not have stopped his goblin wife and daughter from doing things to them, but Higgs felt after Jamison was born and all that he was just tired and had regrets about his past.

Velvet suddenly made a face like she had drank sour milk and Higgs frowned at her as she looked past him into the crowd.

"What in the world is that?"

Higgs turned and saw the distinctive fiery red hair of his maid beelining to where they were. Oh, shit! he thought, elbowing his uncle. Kans looked to where he was motioning with his eyes and saw the impending doom as well. He laughed nervously.

"Um, lovely chat. Thank you for the blessing, Father, but I have to go."

"Oh no you don't." Silvia hissed, grabbing his arm. "I'm not done with you yet."

Kans breathed. "Silvia, I would advise you to let go of me this instant. If you do not, you will be in for a rude awakening."

Velvet tittered, her green eyes giving that look of degradation she inherited from her mother. "So cute. You've suddenly grown a backbone, Monster?"

Higgs knew it was a distraction so that he could slip away and get to Merida before she found them. He went through the small crowd and met Merida head on, putting his hands on her shoulders.

"Hello, Merida. How's Catherine?"

"Perfect." She said with a maniacal smile. "She's got everyone to help her so I thought I'd come and introduce myself to the rest of your uninvited family." She said, pushing against him to get through.

Higgs was surprised by her strength and was finding it hard to keep her at bay.

"They are busy."

"Nonsense." She said with smirk.

"Merida, please." he begged.

"It's just a bit of a chat-"

"You ungrateful little-" was heard across the way.

Merida ducked under Higgs' arms and he cursed, running after her.

**********************

Kans didn't turn back from the slap that Silvia had given and Velvet watched him with bemusement.

"After everything that I did for you? I kept you in the house when you should have been thrown out along with that wretch of a brother. I allowed you to be in the presence of normal human beings instead of in the circus where you and the rest of your cursed lot belong-"

"Watch yourself, Silvia." Baldorian said casually.

"Pipe down, Dorian." She countered.

Baldorian grabbed her arm tightly, making her look at him. "I. Said. Watch. Yourself." he repeated with darker intentions. They glared at each other like two rabid dogs ready for a fight any minute, but eventually Silvia turned away and Baldorian held her arm tighter. "My sons are still of my blood and my blood also runs through the veins of our daughters. You may not like what the curse of my family has done and I may be quite lax with your harsh treatment at times, but this is neither the time nor the place. Besides, I wouldn't press my luck trying to curse our name, dearie. It has a habit of making others understand."