Part 28: Her right

Ranbir returned to his penthouse very late. Although he has been the only one here till now, his apartment felt empty.
Spending one day in his house, Prachi somehow left her marks on everything. And mostly his room.
Yesterday he slept without any nightmares. Usually, after 4/5 hours, he had to wake due to the nightmare but yesterday... being with her somehow had a soothing effect.
Ranbir rubbed his eyes and forehead, he was having slight headache.
It was seasonal change, this would lead to a flu eventually and he hated it.
He laid down on his bed and tried to get some sleep.

Next morning:
Ranbir's temperature was high and he was sick. He called in with his secretary to inform that he wasn't coming.

Meanwhile, Mr. Oberoi called Ranbir's office to meet him. He still had to thank him. However, he was informed about Ranbir's absence and the reason as well.

Later during the day:
Prachi came to the kitchen as she noticed her mother there. Normally she was supposed to be at work.
Prachi:"Mamma, what are you doing?"
She noticed Mr. Oberoi as well.

Prachi:"what are you both doing here?"
Mrs. O:"your dad is making me prepare soup for Ranbir."
Prachi:"soup?"
Mr. O:"yes, he is not well."
Prachi, worriedly:"what happened to him?"
Mr. O:"just a flu. I was going to see so thought why not since he lives alone."
Prachi nodded worriedly.

Mr. O:"but i have a last minute meeting, and i need your mum as well. So you should go and give it to him."
Prachi:"ok, i will go." She hurriedly went to change.

Mrs Oberoi looked at her husband who avoided her eyes.
Mrs. O:"what are you trying to do?"
Mr. O:"you will see and you will love it."
Mrs Oberoi looked at him suspiciously.

Prachi took the soup box and quickly left. She also took Ranbir's number from her father.

Ranbir's apartment:
Prachi noticed the code system.

Prachi, to herself:"now what should i do?"
She called him and he sleepily answered the phone.
Prachi, hearing his voice:"so unwell."
Ranbir looked at the caller id and noticed the unknown number.
Prachi:"give me your apartment code."
Ranbir:"why?"
Prachi:"so many questions. Let me come in and i will answer all."
Ranbir:"no. You shouldn't come. Leave Prachi."
Prachi:"ok, Papa, Ranbir doesn't want us to come. We should leave."
Ranbir:"Sir is with you. Wait i am coming."
He tried to get up but felt dizzy and hit the bedside table.
Prachi:"don't get up. Just tell me the code."
Ranbir told her and she got in.

She put the soup on the kitchen counter and went to his room.
She saw Ranbir holding his head. She went to him and supported him.
Prachi:"what are you doing? Lay down."
Ranbir:"let me see your dad."
Prachi:"Lay down first."

She made him lay down.
Ranbir:"your dad must be waiting."
Prachi:"actually...... he didn't come. I had to lie otherwise you wouldn't let me in."
Ranbir looked at her.

She noticed his dangerous gaze.
Ranbir:"you should leave."
Prachi:"i am not going to go anywhere. And you don't have much strength to put me out. So no, i am not leaving."
She sat next to him.m and checked his temperature.
Prachi:"you are burning with fever. Did you take medicine?"
Ranbir was just looking at her.
Prach:"i am sure you didn't. First you need to eat. Papa and Mamma sent food for you. I will bring it."
She went to the kitchen and served the soup. She had to heat it again as it already turned cold.

She came back and sat next to him.
She helped him with the soup and as he was not feeling well, he didn't argue much. He silently drank the soup from her hands.
All this while, he was staring at her lovingly. Prachi kept talking about random things but he wasn't hearing anything. He was just mesmerized by her and lost in her.

After the soup, Prachi made him the medicine.
Prachi:"you will fall asleep with this. You rest, i will be here."
Ranbir:"you can...."
Prachi:"i know i know i can leave but i don't want to leave."

She kept talking here and there until Ranbir felt asleep.
She covered him with the blanket and went in the hall.
Mr. Oberoi called her and asked about Ranbir's health.
She informed that he was sleeping and his fever will go down soon.
Once she hung up, she heard Ranbir screaming in his sleep. She rushed to the room.
She looked at him worriedly while he was sweating and tossing in his sleep.
Ranbir, in his sleep:"please.... Stop. Don't. Stay away. Please stay away."

Prachi rushed to him and tried to wake him up but he kept talking.
Ranbir:"please don't hit me. Don't hit me, please."
Prachi hugged him in order to comfort her.

Prachi:"Ranbir, it's ok. Breathe, breathe."
He hugged her tightly.
Ranbir:"tell them not to hurt me. Not to hit me, please."
Prachi:"just breathe. No one will hit you. I won't let anyone hurt you. Just breathe."
He was finally calming down but refused to let her go. He slept once more hugging her.

Prachi was thoughtful and worried about what just happened.
There were lots of questions in her mind.
Ranbir got beaten up....
By who?
For what?
And that too this badly that it traumatized him.

Despite being tensed, she kept stroking his hair in a calming way. Soon, she also felt in a slumber.

After 2 hours:
Ranbir woke up first and noticed how he hugged Prachi. He slowly moved his hand but this woke her up.

Prachi:"how are you feeling?"
She checked his temperature again.
Prachi:"thank God, the fever is mostly gone. You sweat a lot, your shirt is drenched. You should change."
Ranbir nodded yes.
She helped him to get ip snd he went to the washroom.

Prachi thought to change the bedsheets as well and did so. She went to the laundry room and put it there after putting new ones.
Ranbir peeped out from the washroom to see if she was gone as he didn't take a new shirt.

She wasn't there so he came out. He was in front of the mirror and about to wear his shirt when Prachi entered. He turned to her.
She noticed the scar on his lower stomach. And could see other scars on his back.
She was shocked seing that much of scar. They looked old.
She approached him.

Ranbir was about to wear his shirt quickly but she stopped him. She came closer to him and touched the one on his stomach.
Ranbir jerked her hands away.
Prachi:"how did this happen?"

Ranbir:"non e of your business."
Prachi:"it looks old."

Ranbir remembered the beatings and grew angry.
Ranbir:"Prachi, leave. Please."
Prachi:"how did this happe...."

Ranbir, angrily:"you don't have any right to ask nor to know. So please leave."
Prachi:"rights? I have the right and you have given me this right. You gave me that right when you said that you can't bear me with someone else.
You gave me this right when you said that you won't let anyone hurt me.
You gave me this right when you took care of me last night. You gave me this right."

Ranbir looked on.
Ranbir:"i can't give you this right. Even if i wish to.l

Prachi:"you already gave it to me. I am just asserting them. You don't have to say about these scars if you don't want to. I will totally understand.
Take as much time as you wish."

Ranbir was trying hard to control his feelings but he knew it was for the best.
Ranbir:"please go, Prachi."

Prachi took her phone and was about to leave but she turned back.
She hugged him and whispered to him.
Prachi:"whoever did this, for whichever reason, i know they destroyed a piece of your life. They are part of your past. But now they cannot hurt you. Don't let them and their memories hurt you so much that it affects your present and future. Don't let them get to you. Do not tie yourself because of them."
She placed a small kiss on his cheek and left from there.

Ranbir was left with his thoughts. Whatever Prachi just said to him was ringing in his ears. He was still stuck there. He thought he was free from them but no. He needed to get them out of his brain as well.

—————————-
Thank you all for the lovely comments and votes.
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️