Chapter 41 - Grim

"Well.." he looks away and scratches his arm.

"I kinda get what you meant that day..." He shut his eyes close as he forced himself to say those words.

"What exactly?" She raised her eyebrow.

'She prolly won't remember it either, yeah right.'

"Something about being the right one for me?" He looks at her, hoping it would work.

She smiled widely and wraps her arms around his.

"Really?" She tilts her head. "Well, go on, I'm listening."

He cleared his throat and looked ahead as they walked.

"Umm, you're definitely better."

"I knew it you'd understand it one day." She said.

Kageyama forced a chuckle before looking down.

"What do you say we go for a date tomorrow?" She asked.

"I can't, I actually have to study for the finals." He looks at her.

"Then a study date!! That sounds about right." She nods.

He stares at her in surprise.

"Wait a minute.." she stops walking and glares at him. "How'd I know if you're actually serious with me?"

He just looks at her without saying anything.

"Are you seriously planning to work things out with me??" She frowns.

He quietly nodded and gulped.

"Well then" she smirks and scoffed. "Stop talking to Y/n." She looks at him. "If you don't talk to her, I'll believe you."

Kageyama silently sighed before looking away in frustration, then nodding as he looked at her.

"Good." She smiled and leaned closer to his ear. "Because if you don't, she'll pay the price for it."

She smiled and pulled him by his arm.

The next day Y/n stepped out of her home and smiled as she opened her front door, expecting to see Kageyama, but sees Hinata in his place.

"Good morning!!" He waved at her enthusiastically.

"Oh, Good morning." She smiled and walked towards him. "Where's Tobio-kun?"

"Ahh..." He scratched the back of his head and looks at her. "He said he'll catch up. Let's get going or we'll get late." He told while pulling her by her arm.

At school, Hinata was being more like a caretaker to her since he tailed along with her as much as he could. People still kept staring at her but he tried to deviate her awareness until she reached her class safely.

Kageyama walked towards him the moment Y/n entered.

"Usual place, let's go."

Hinata nodded and followed him to where they talked the previous day.

Kageyama paced back and forth in frustration while Hinata looks at him curiously.

"What's wrong?"

"She wants me to stop talking to Y/n." He slams the table.

Hinata widened his eyes. "And you agreed to that??"

Kageyama nodded.

"Are you insane? She's already deeply hurt by not having you around, she'll be crushed if she knows this!" Hinata frowned.

"I know, but.." he looks at Hinata. "Atleast i do know that she's the one behind what happened yesterday, and she's not planning to stop just yet. This is the only way I can know on what she's planning next." Kageyama looks at him desperately.

Hinata looks down. "But how will you explain this to Y/n?"

"I..." Kageyama tears up. " I know I'm putting her in a fix but I'm trying to protect her from thr shadows." He wipes his tears. "It hurts me more to put her in a situation like this but I need to end this whole thing Mei is planning."

Hinata places his hand on Kageyama's shoulder before walking out towards the door.

"I will keep updating you about her but I can't guarantee I'll be as good of a replacement for you."

He told before walking out, while Kageyama sat there for a little longer, covering his face with his hands while he lets his tears out.

Even though Y/n doesn't externally show how she feels, Kageyama could make the heads and tails of what she thought and it pained him to see her silently suffering.

During lunch break Mei was seen being so close to Kageyama that even though he was uncomfortable, he forced himself to go along with her.

Y/n watched as everything happened in front of her eyes, pretending as she didn't see it at all.

She then took her phone and texted Kageyama.

'Do you wanna talk?'

"Oh! Looks like you got a message." Mei told as she grabs Kageyama's phone from his pocket, hearing a notification tone.

She stares up and down at Y/n after she reads the text, standing up as she starts walking towards her.

"Why are you texting my boyfriend??" She raised her voice, creating a scene.

Y/n looked around at the stares she was getting.

"I-I didn't know you both were-"

"Are you gonna pretend now??" Mei snapped.

"M-Matsuda, stop.." Kageyama tried to make her stop by holding her arm. "She didn't know, obviously.."

Mei glares at her and sighed. "He is not talking to you anymore. Get that into that cute head of yours." She told before going back to her seat.

Y/n looks at Kageyama, who looks back at her before walking towards Mei in defeat.

"Why is this happening...?" Y/n whispered to herself and sat on her seat.

Kageyama looks at her and bites his lip to avoid from getting carried away with his feelings.

Days passed and everyday has been filled with Y/n's self esteem being treaded upon, Kageyama and Mei's 'progress' in their relationship, and Hinata's constant effort to be there for Y/n.

To make things worse, things didn't look good for Y/n anymore and every passing day made it difficult for her to look forward to go to school.