Chapter 16 - Rest

The next day Kageyama showed up to the gym earlier than anyone and saw that Hinata was waiting out of the gym's door, tossing the volleyball in the air.

"Where's everyone..?" He asked and Hinata looks at him.

"Guess we came first," Hinata answered as he kept tossing the ball, then held the ball in his hands as he looks at him.

"Why did you come by yourself though..?" Hinata tilts his head. "Don't you always show up with Y/n..?"

Kageyama widened his eyes and took out his phone and actually checked the time.

"Crap!! I actually thought I was late and rushed here as soon as I could. I didn't even think to go to her first!!" He raised his voice in panic.

Hinata just looks at him cluelessly as Kageyama tried to call her multiple times, and they were all being sent to the voice mail.

"I'm not able to reach her!!" He paced back and forth as he tried to ring her again.

Just he decided that he needed to go over to get her, Tanaka appeared and smiled at the both of them.

"Ah! Well if it isn't Kageyama and Hinata." He walked over while playing with the key on his finger.

"Good morning!" Both Kageyama and Hinata greeted as Tanaka unlocked the gym door and entered.

"Let's start practicing boys! We got no time to lose." He told as he entered the gym.

Kageyama had no option except to enter the gym and to do as his senior told him.

Soon, the others came by too and they all started to practice. Kageyama walked over to Kiyoko, wanting to ask her a question but she beat him to it and asked him first.

"Where's Y/n..?" She asked.

Kageyama widened his eyes at first then looked away. "I-I think she's tired, so she's taking a day off today.." He told.

"She's been pushing herself from the past week anyway. It's ok to let her take a day off." Kiyoko told and wrote something in her notebook.

Kageyama went back to his spot and although he wanted to text her, he couldn't find the time to since the boys were practicing non-stop.

Daichi clapped his hand in the middle of a practice match.

"Come on boys, we're facing Nekoma next week, let's not get distracted." He told and everyone nods in agreement.

In the evening, the boys were all tired but Takeda sensei decided to take them out to eat somewhere to ease up their mind and body from all the strains.

They all went to a local ramen spot and sat together at a table as everyone was eating and quite enjoying the moment.

After they were done, everyone parted ways as they went to their own home, and Kageyama walked with Hinata too.

"We need to be early for the practice again.." Hinata told excitedly.

"I can't wait to face Nekoma, I wonder what kind of setter they got." Kageyama looks at Hinata.

"Me too! They might be an amazing team." Hinata smiled wide.

When Hinata parted ways with Kageyama, Kageyama took out his phone and looked at the screen to see that there were no texts or calls from Y/n, and decided to text her, in case she was resting and he didn't want to disturb her.

'Are you okay..?'

He typed but then deleted the whole text.

'How are you feeling?'

He typed this but deleted that as well.

'I haven't seen you today. Where are you?'

He typed and deleted the text again, being frustrated as he didn't know what to type.

'I'm sorry I couldn't come and get you today, are you upset?'

He typed and hit send as he walked towards his home. He put the phone back in his pocket as he reached his home and opened the door and entered.

He went to his room and laid down on his bed, having his phone in his hand while waiting for the text, eventually falling asleep.

He woke up the next day and looked at the time to realize that he actually slept in, and got ready for school as he wore his uniform after taking a quick shower.

As he rushed out of his home, he checked his phone again to see that there was no reply from her and frowned.

'Are you in class right now?' 

He texted her as he made his way to school, putting the phone back in his pocket as he made a run for it.

When he reached his class, it was already the end of the second class that they had and entered the class casually while everyone was busy talking to each other.

He glanced at Y/n's usual seat and it was empty. 

He went around to sit on his usual seat and rested his face on his hand as he just stared at her place, wondering why she wasn't there for the second day in a row.

He looks at his phone to see that there was still no text from her and decided to show up at her place later that evening.

Just when he thought of that, Y/n entered the class and weakly made her way to her seat, plopping on the chair as she lay her head on the table. 

Kageyama looks at her and widened his eyes, raising his head from his hand as he stands up and walks over to her, feeling that something was wrong.

"Y/n..?" He held her hand and gasped softly as he felt her body burning up.

"Y/n! You're burning with fever." Kageyama bent down to her level. 

"Huh..?" Y/n raised her head and looks at him. "No...I just have a bad cold, I guess.." She sniffed and tries to stand up, but was forced to sit down by Kageyama as he held her arms gently.

"Don't push yourself. Sit down."

"Why did you come to school if you weren't feeling okay?" He asked, a little concerned.

"I thought I'd get better if I got out of bed for some time, I was in bed the whole day yesterday."

"It doesn't work that way." Kageyama looked at her then looked away.