Chapter 8 - Cozy

That very same day after school, Kageyama and Y/n just left their class along with everyone else. They held hands so everyone would believe that they really were dating and so they made their way to the gym, but Y/n stopped.

"What's wrong?" Kageyama looked down at her.

"I got part-time today so, I will go on ahead." She looks at him.

"O-oh yeah.." Kageyama looks away and nods. "I'll see you after practice then."

"Mmm.." She nods.

After a small pause, he raised his eyebrow. "Why aren't you leaving?" He asks.

"Well, that's because you're still holding my hand." Y/n shrugs a little and smiled.

Kageyama realizes that he was holding her hand and immediately let go while he blushes a little.

"Ah! Kageyama! And Y/n!" Tanaka and Nishinoya were walking towards the gym and spotted them.

"N-Nishinoya-san, Tanaka-san!" Kageyama looks at them, being caught a little off guard.

"Hey heyy Kageyama, you sly little fox. You're dating Y/n huh?" Nishinoya wraps his arm around Kageyama's neck and teased him.

"Y-yeah.." Kageyama huffs and looks at Y/n.

"Well, I need to go now. I'm getting late." Y/n looks at her watch.

"Oh yeah, You got part-time today." Tanaka looks at Y/n.

"W-Wait.." Kageyama breaks free from Nishinoya and looks at Y/n as he walked towards her.

"U-Umm.." he looks away with a stiff expression again as he rubs his arm with his hand.

'I want to drop her at work, but I also wanna practice...' He thinks.

"Ahh! I understand!" Nishinoya shouts and runs to stand beside Kageyama. "You want to have a lovey-dovey moment before you both part, don't you?" He smirked, nudging him by his elbow.

"Wh-what?!" Kageyama turned red in embarrassment and looks at him. "Th-that's not what I wanted to-"

"It's okay! We'll go in first so you both can have a moment." Tanaka smirks, understanding what Noya told, and giggled quietly as they both entered the gym and closed the door right after.

Kageyama looked away, still embarrassed, and growled under his breath.

Y/n was looking at them the whole time, blushing a little since she heard what Nishinoya told but smiled after they left.

"I'll get going now.." She says and turned around to walk.

"Y/n!" Kageyama reached out to hold her wrist and she looks back at him, waiting for him to finish his sentence.

Kageyama stared into her eyes and they had a little bit of eye contact before he looked away. "T-take care." He mumbled.

"Thank you, you too." She nods before leaving.

Kageyama slams the gym door open and closes it, gathering all the members' attention on to him.

"Huh? Why are you all looking at me?" He asks.

"Are you okay?" Hinata asks. "You seem pissed." He tilts his head.

"I-I'm not pissed!" Kageyama's cheeks flushed red, while Tanaka and Noya looked at him and thought that he did he showed a loving gesture to Y/n.

'I am annoyed that I couldn't drop Y/n at work.' He thought to himself while he looked away.

Daichi then clasps his hands. "Alright, let's continue the practice. Stop slacking people!"

The practice went well and as usual, after the other boys left, Hinata and Kageyama were still practicing for a little while longer.

"One more!" Hinata shouted as he ran towards the net, closing his eyes as Kageyama sets the ball directly to his palm and spiked it to the ground.

"Nice spike." Kageyama gasped for breath, wiping off the sweat off his forehead.

"One more!" Hinata ran to the back of the court. Kageyama looks at the time and realized it was already too late.

"This is the last one, we need to leave after this." He told and Hinata nodded.

After they were done cleaning up the gym and closing the door, Hinata and Kageyama walked together till they parted ways. He then proceeded to walk to the convenience store and entered it to see that Y/n was already packing up.

"Oh, I'm late.." He says softly and looks away.

"You can still buy whatever you want, I'll wait." Y/n smiled.

Kageyama looks around and bought a few snacks before taking it to the counter. 

Y/n hums while she scanned the items then proceeded to put the items in the bag. Kageyama steps forward to help her put the goodies in the bag and for the last item, they both reached out for it, ending up with the Y/n having her hand placed over Kageyama's since he grabbed the item first. She looks at him, who was looking down while blushing a little, slightly moving his hand away to put the last piece in the bag.

Y/n smiled and turns towards the cash register and Kageyama turns towards the entrance, holding the bag in his hand.

"I'll wait for you outside." He told and quickly walked out.

After Y/n packed up she walked out the store too and looks at him. "You didn't have to wait here for me you know." She smiled. "Why go through all the trouble after exhausting yourself from the practice?" 

"Ah...Umm.." Kageyama looks away before starting to walk beside her. "It feels awkward to just pass by and leave like it's nothing." He mumbled.

"Is that so?" She hums and looks at him.

"Y-yeah!" He looks away and huffs slightly.

After a short while, he looks at her and raised an eyebrow. "Why aren't you holding my hand now?" He asks.

She stops walking and looks at him with a little confused look on her face. "Because there's no one around?" 

They both looked at each other cluelessly before Y/n sighed. "Didn't you want to pretend to be my boyfriend in front of everyone in school?" She raised her eyebrow and he nods.

"And are we in the school or out of the school now, hm?"

Kageyama realized what she meant and looks down, before looking away with his usual stern expression.

"Buf-we-need-to-gej-uze-to-zeez-kinds-of-sings." (But we need to get used to these kinds of things)

"Huuuhhh?" Y/n looks at him and tilts her head. "I didn't get that."

"N-Nothing." He huffs and walks ahead, with her following him.

As they reached her home, she turned to him and smiled. "Good night, I'll see you tomorrow again."

Kageyama waved at her before looking down at the bag in his hand and stopped her. 

"Y/n!" He looks at her. "These are actually for you." He handed her the bag.

"Now why would you give me these?" She frowns and holds the bag.

"I just felt like." He crossed his arm and looked away.

"Thank you, Tobio-Kun." She smiled.

He blushed in embarrassment and looks at her.

"What, you don't like it?" She asked. 

'It's actually the opposite.' He thought to himself while looking at her.

Y/n sighs and looks down. "Fine, I'm sorry. I'll just call you Kageyama-"

"No!" He cut her off and she looks back at him. "I-It's fine." He looks away.

She smiled and nods. "I'll see you tomorrow then, good night."

Kageyama wished her back and turned around to walk after making sure she went in and locked the door.