Chapter 11 - Apology

Kageyama sneaks up to the cashier and looks back at the table they were in to see if she can spot him or not, and luckily she was busy cleaning up the table to help out the waiter get their used dishes easily.

"Bill, please.." He mutters, and the lady behind the cash register hands him out their bill.

He gulps as he looks at the bill, knowing that this is the first that he's going to pay for something that's more than the usual snacks he buys. He only saves up his pocket money whenever he can for small things like drinks and snacks since he is still a student.

He pays the bill with whatever he had and even searched his pockets since he was a few yen short.

After secretly paying for them, he went over to Y/n and cleared his throat to grab her attention.

"Let's go." He looks at her.

"Yes, let me pay first." She stands up after cleaning the table. "I'll be back."

Kageyama tried to stop her but she went over to the cashier to pay.

"May I have the bill please?" She smiled.

"Oh..." Y/n went silent and her smile faded.

Kageyama widened his eyes upon looking at how Y/n's reaction was, sweating coldly since he almost always saw her smiling and cheery.

Y/n quietly turned around and without looking at Kageyama, walked out the spot and sighed as she made her way home.

"Y/n!" Kageyama rushed behind her and followed her as she kept walking, ignoring him.

"Y/n, please, let me explain." He stands in front of her, blocking her way, while she just looked away.

"I'm sor-"

"You NEVER let me do anything for you." She mumbles. "What do you think of me?" She clenches her fist. "Am I not worth any effort?"

"That's not what-"

"You don't let me do anything for you!" She snaps at him, frowning at him. Kageyama went silent upon looking at her reaction.

"I just wanted to do something nice for you, but you.." She grits her teeth and looks away. 

"Y/n, it's not that. It's just that I didn't want you to pay just because to repay me for what I did today." Kageyama rubbed the back of his neck and looked away.

Y/n's expression changed and looks down. "You always did things for me and it shows that you care for me, I get it. When I want to do the same for you, or at least find a reason to do something for you, you don't let me." Her lips quivered in anger as she looked away. "How can you think that I'm doing all this just because I want to pay back to you?" 

Kageyama looked at her without any answer.

"I literally enjoy spending time with you..." she sighed. "I can't believe that today turned out to be like this." She scoffs. "I mean, I'm not mad because you went on to pay without telling me, but because you keep thinking that I want to repay your favor. You can't tell me that you got any money on you anymore after paying for that, I asked you out today so I had the right to pay for today as well."

She proceeds to walk past him but stops as she stood beside him, parting her lips to say something but sighs and shakes her head before she continued walking.

Kageyama stood there in silence, trying to contemplate what to do before he turns around to see her walk away and eventually out of sight.

Kageyama went home and while he was in his room, he laid on his bed and stared at the ceiling, going through all that happened earlier.

He sat up and clutched onto the sheets, then runs his hands through his hair in frustration.

"I messed up. she's being moody...could it be...that..time of the month...?" He closed his eyes and exhaled through his mouth.

He tried ringing Y/n a couple of times but it was to no avail since his call didn't go through.

He paced around his room as he kept checking his phone from time to time, checking if she texted him.

He finally decided that he needed to talk to her no matter what, and quickly left his home, planning to go talk to her personally.

He sprinted towards her home and once he reached her home, he looked at where he thought her room might be, and waited to see signs of her, panting since he was out of breath.

He finally takes out his phone, ringing her number once again, and this time, she picks up. But before she could say anything, he immediately spoke up.

"Look out your window." He says after regaining his breath.

He was still looking at her window and sees Y/n showing up by the window, widening her eyes as she sees him standing out of her home.

"Why are you here?" she asks. "It's quite late, go home."

"I won't go until we're done talking."

Y/n sighed and rubs her forehead. "Fine, I'll be there in a few."

Kageyama hangs up as he sees Y/n disappear from the window and waits a couple of seconds before the front door opened and she walks out, walking towards him.

"Let's sit on the steps." She says and sits on the steps of her front door, and he sits right beside her.

"Look, Y/n, I'm sorry." He sighed.

"I'm sorry." Y/n said in unison.

"I know I hurt you, but I promise you that was not my intention." He looks at her, who was looking down, playing with her fingers.

He was skeptical at first, but decided to just go for it and holds her hand. "I promise you this won't happen again."

He notices her tearing up and quickly wraps his arm around her head, pulling her to his chest.

"I'll open up more, I promise. Please don't cry." He whispers, wrapping his other arm around her. "I enjoy spending time with you too." He smiles.

Y/n eventually hugs him back and wraps her arms around him. "No,I'm sorry...I don't know what got into me.." she sniffed.

"Did you get your-Nah, it was entirely my fault." He pulled away and looks at her, wiping her tears with his thumb.

He stares at her before smiling. "You know what? You look beautiful even when you cry." 

Y/n blushes as she looks at him and he blushes as well, realizing what he said, but smiled as he looks away.