How To: Fit In

September 2021

I quietly sat and moved from side to side on my twirly chair as Sunghoon looked at the viewer count, patiently waiting for enough people to join in on the live we were ready to have.

"Yessss," Sunghoon clapped his hands together and I stopped my impatient movements and looked at him, "today we have Sunghoon's reviews, now with guests... miss Choi Jiyeon."

"That is indeed me," I smiled at the camera before doing a small salute.

"And we're gonna do something... we are not supposed to," Sunghoon let out a small laugh as I just gave the camera two small thumbs ups, "so... yeah the culprit is gonna reveal what we're doing."

"We're gonna be reading comments, both good, bad and neutral. From both our twitter and Weverse," I explained, "so... we both posted on both platforms earlier today, right?"

"I sure did," Sunghoon let out a small laugh at me with a small nod.

"So we're reviewing Engene comments," I let out a small laugh before covering my mouth with my hand, "we're gonna get in trouble."

"You're gonna get in trouble," Sunghoon clarified a we both got out our phones to read over the comments, "so... on twitter I posted and asked for dinner recommendations," Sunghoon sighed as he began scrolling through the pictures, "and my oh my...."

"I love the replies whenever we ask for food recommendations," I let out a laugh as I could see all the chaotic replies of pictures.

"Mint choco chicken," Sunghoon sighed deeply, "ew."

"I do have to admit that sounds really disgusting," I hummed in agreement as I scrunched up my nose, "sorry Sunoo-ya, not happening."

Sunghoon continued to sit and find the weirdest suggestions he possibly could while I scrolled through my comments, looking for anything.

"Oooh, can I get to speak on this?" I questioned and showed Sunghoon a comment, to which he just quietly nodded before shrugging.

"Explain it nicely," he reminded and I just nodded in assurance.

"I'm just gonna read the comment first," I excused, "so it says: to be honest if a girl is gonna be in a boygroup like Enhypen she should tall and have short hair to fit in."

"I said nicely," Sunghoon reminded and I just nodded at him, "no because I know how much you get pissed off at such comments."

"I will do it nicely and take examples from real life," I assured and laid my phone on the table, "so as for my height... there is 13 centimeters between Jungwon and I. Between Niki and I there are 19 centimeter difference. In Seventeen Sunbaenim we have Woozi Sunbaenim who is only two centimeters taller than me. Two. Meanwhile the tallest, Mingyu Sunbaenim is 185 centimeters, taller than Niki. They can be in a group together and still look great if they stand beside each other on the red carpet or when performing. It makes the group unique that there can be such a height difference."

"So far... very diplomatic," Sunghoon quietly commented and I just patted his shoulder.

"I'm not done," I excused and he let out a small sigh before rubbing his temples, "so how come my height be a problem when the height difference from shortest to tallest in our team is less than it is in Seventeen sunbaenim. Not to say anything negative about Seventeen sunbaenim, I absolutely love them."

"She somehow managed to get a signed album from them, seriously impressive," Sunghoon commented.

"I had a small fangirl moment there, yeah," I let out a small embarrassed laugh before collecting myself again, "no, but seriously. I don't see why my height is such a problem compared to Niki's height... so here's my conclusion, it's because I'm a girl. Because my height is apparently not the only problem because I'm a girl, don't get me started on how many times my skills and talent have been questioned-"

"It was your hair they found as your next problem," Sunghoon quickly pointed out and I looked down at the comment.

"Oh yeah," I hummed before looking up at the camera again, "but yeah, that was my height rant."

"To cut it short, her conclusion is that if anyone finds your height a problem for the look of the group, they're just bitter about your gender being different from ours," Sunghoon stated and I nodded, "now for the hair discussion."

"Saying that my hair should be short to fit in would basically be the same as saying that we all should have the same hair color," I pointed out, "and if not, let me take Twice Sunbaenim as an example, again examples from real life is good. When Jeongyeon sunbaenim was out there slaying her short hair around their debut and the others had long hair, it wasn't mentioned how she should grow out her hair to fit in, sure it grew long. But sure my hair might as well be short for some future comeback. Another thing also, changing my hair to fit in is changing my appearance... so I might as well just become a boy then, because then I surely fit in a 100%. I am not gonna transition into a boy, because that's not what I feel like but I fully support the idea of transitioning to another gender if you don't feel like the one you were born as."

"This turned into a whole other theme than what you started out with talking about," Sunghoon let out a small laugh as I just hummed with a nod to the camera.

"So if you stan Seventeen of Twice then my height and hair shouldn't be a problem... you know what, generally my height and hair shouldn't be a problem. I can't do anything about my height and my hair is my choice," I shrugged, "so yeah... my answer: to be honest, my height and hair don't have anything to do with whether or not I fit in, my skills has something to do of whether or not I fit in."

"And by any chance you outperform the group rather than underperform it," Sunghoon stated and I just nodded, "now moving on, because you could rant about this for forever."

"I fit in," I mumbled and Sunghoon let out a laugh, "I belong in this group just as much as you do."

"You definitely do," Sunghoon hummed with a small laugh, before he reached his arm over and wrapped it around my shoulders, "and there would be no Enhypen without."

"Damn right there won't, who would do all the high notes?" I questioned in amusement.

"Heeseung Hyung," Sunghoon replied and I glanced at him, "but yours are important too," he quickly assured before we both let out small laughs, "I like your hair by the way."

"I know," I hummed and brushed it over my shoulder, "I look hella good."

"And you spent too much time with Sunoo," Sunghoon commented and I just playfully glared at him.

"You're a narcissist too you know," I retorted and he let out a laugh before hiding his face in his arms, on the table, "you should hear him every morning Engine. When he's done brushing his teeth... woah, the biggest narcissist in our dorm is definitely him," I stated and pointed to Sunghoon who was just waving his hand in denial.

"You're embarrassing me," Sunghoon complained as he straightened up again and brushed his hair out of his face, "let's just continue reading comments."

I quietly hummed before glancing up at the camera and continuing to look for comments.