⚜Chapter 28⚜

𝑰 𝒘𝒊𝒔𝒉 𝑰 𝒉𝒂𝒅𝒏'𝒕 𝒃𝒆𝒆𝒏 

𝒔𝒐 𝒃𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒅 𝒊𝒏 

𝒍𝒐𝒗𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒍𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 

𝒎𝒚 𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒅 𝒊𝒏𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒂𝒅 𝒐𝒇 𝒎𝒚 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕. 

~ 𝑨𝒏𝒐𝒏𝒚𝒎𝒐𝒖𝒔

Father did go all out for today

Father did go all out for today. That is my first thought as I take in the scene in front of me. Glittering lights and a beautiful chandelier adorned the place. Laughter, incessant chatter filled the atmosphere while soft music plays in the background. Business associates, celebrities, lawyers and even the fucking media is invited to the show.

Taking a swig from my whiskey, I lean onto the railing of the hallway balcony. They all seem so small, tiny from up here. Their presence here is insignificant to me. No, the people I want to see aren't here. Yet.

My gaze wanders through the crowd when it stops on a familiar face. Jace, my younger brother. He is talking to some woman who has her back towards me. Whatever it is she said has made my brother very upset by the looks of it. I drag my eyes away from the arguing couple as I recall the day when Jace broke into my house.

This was not a part of the plan. Fuck, he shouldn't even know that I was here. Getting up, he moves towards the whiskey cabinet, picking out a bottle, he pours it into a glass and offers it to me. A smirk adorning his face as he speaks,

"It has been a long time, Rhys."

Deciding that it's better if I stay sober for this conversation, I declined the drink in his hand.

Shrugging his shoulders, he turns around and keeps the drink on the table, "Suit yourself."

As soon as he turns around, he flung a knife at me. I saw that coming from a mile away. I'm quick on my feet as I step back, the knife barely misses my neck as I hold his left wrist.

"You're not quick enough," I tell him.

Rolling his eyes, Jace mutters, "Smartass,"

Raising an eyebrow at his childishness, I kick hard at his right knee.

"Fuck!" An agonizing groan leaves his mouth as he hunches down to his knees. Ignoring his painful expression, I twist his left wrist, the knife clattering to the floor as I land a hard punch at his jaw, his face turns sideways at the impact.

He doesn't bother standing up when I back away from him. Jace utters a string of curses before he slides backwards and leans against the table. Moving around him, I grab that drink from the table and offer it to him, "I think you need it more than me." My lips curl into a smirk when I take in his annoyed expression.