⚜Chapter 23⚜

𝑰 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝒕𝒐 

𝒃𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒐𝒏𝒍𝒚

 𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓

 𝒏𝒆𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒉𝒐𝒍𝒅. 

~ 𝑨𝒏𝒐𝒏𝒚𝒎𝒐𝒖𝒔

I was setting up the table for dinner when I heard the front door

I was setting up the table for dinner when I heard the front door. Leaving Mary alone in the kitchen, I hurry into the living room and see Felix, "Hi."

"Hey," His voice tired as he replied.

I took a minute to take in his presence. His coat draped over his right hand, his hair disheveled and, his tie hung loosely around his neck. His appearance was not uncommon. There were days when work pushed him over the edge. But, today was different. His posture was stiff, eyebrows furrowed in deep thought. He was troubled, and I could feel that it had nothing to do with work.

"Go freshen up. I'll be waiting for you at dinner."

Nodding his head at me, he leaves for his room. We had our dinner silently. It was weird because ever since we started having dinner together, we always conversed. I mean, yeah, we didn't have deep conversations. Still, we at least talked about how our day went.

Something is troubling him.

"I'm done. If you need me, I'll be in the study."

Felix's voice snaps me out of my thoughts as I look up to him, "Okay." As he strode out of the kitchen, I glance at his plate. It wasn't even half empty. He barely ate anything.

Should I ask him? No, what if he thinks I'm intruding in his private life? We recently started getting along.

You're his wife. You're supposed to know everything about his private life.

Frustrated with my inner conflict, I shut the book I was reading and banged it on the table loudly. I was not focusing on the story anyway. After eating dinner, I went to the library, hoping that reading would distract my mind from Felix. It didn't work.

I'll ask him once and, if he doesn't want to talk about it then, I'll let it go. With that thought in mind, I left for his study at the far end of the corridor. The study was empty when I entered. No sign of my husband anywhere. Where is he? Maybe.

Quickly making my way down to the basement, I punched in the code and entered. The walls were dark grey and, a flat screen hung on the wall, probably for gaming purposes. A couch and two bean bags were in front of the flat screen. As I walked in further, a bar was at the right corner of the room and in the centre was a huge pool table. This was Felix's man-cave or bachelor pad, whatever you want to call it. Let me tell you it, was fucking huge. Turning right, I entered another room. Weights, treadmills, and other pieces of equipment I don't recognize were present in the room. All four walls of the room were mirrored.