This Is Her Plan All Along

No matter how much Jay wanted to call you, he couldn't ask you to go up to him in the balcony and face his friends with him

go up to him in the balcony and face his friends with him.

From his point of view, he thought you were already stressed enough by the pressure of this night and it was because he could see you typing rapidly on your phone, eyes never leaving the screen even though Sunoo already went to join you in the table.

You'd already had to suffer through your stepsibling's interrogation and now it was his turn to do the same with his friends.

Weren't the three of them supposed to be best friends? What kind of best friends gave each other up so quickly?

He hung back after his mom leaves him to find his dad, waiting for the two boys to step up there.

By the time they reached the top of the stairs, their conversation had ended and their eyes had found his lone figure in front of a Beast statue. He waited anxious to see what they'd do and felt his heart break a little when Sunghoon began to walk right past him.

Jake hesitated a little longer but inevitably went to follow after the former.

"Are you going to ice me out from now on?", Jay asked quietly, the words enough to stop the two from their step.

Turning back to face him, the pair of them shared a look and Jay fidgeted awkwardly with the cup of his sleeves. Why weren't they saying anything? Their anger he could deal with. But this silence, this silence were completely foreign to him.

Eventually, Sunghoon sighed and asked, "Why did you keep it hidden for so long from me?"

"Because I knew how badly you'd react", Jay said truthfully, "But I can't tell you because they never told me her name, only that she's the youngest daughter of Mr. Hwang. I also really like her, and I haven't ever felt this way to anyone before"

"I have to admit that I felt a little betrayed", Sunghoon confessed, not sure what else to say, "My first friend and the girl I wanted -"

Jake decides to butt in, "Well, what would you want for him to do then?", he asked in a gentle tone, obviously trying to appease Sunghoon, "Do you want to ruin your friendship with Jay and end up heartbroken after breaking her heart too? Because she wouldn't want this, for us to fight"

Sunghoon was quiet for a second before speaking, "That's not it"

"Then tell me what to do", Jay pleaded quietly, "Because I can't watch one of my friends turning his back on me"

"Do you love her?", Sunghoon asked pointedly, tucking his hands into his pockets and looking a little uncomfortable at the topic.

"A little more everyday", Jay admitted, watching the two of them make a face at his statement.

Jake was a little more reluctant as he began, "Should we put a stop to this arrangement -"

"I would try everything in my power to stop it", Jay assured them, looking earnestly at Sunghoon.