Mother-Daughter Talk

Start from the beginning

Your continued hesitance to accept the water was no longer because you feared to stay.

Now that you can see from out the window that Yeji is sitting now with the boys and is conversing with them, looking so serious together, you fear for what they were talking about.

But there was only so far that you could push your pride especially when the cost of it was the look in your mom's eyes.

Finally accepting the glass, you took a small sip and let the cool liquid soothe your dry throat. After you drained the entirety of glass in one go, you waited as your mother set down the heart necklace she never seems to remove from her neck.

You never asked about it from her before because deep inside, you already have a hunch it was from him. Why else would she insist in wearing it for almost everyday?

She set it down your open palm until her hands closed around it and then you moved quickly, clamping your other hand to snatch it from her hold.

Mom drew in a sharp breath at the sudden movement but held still and even when you released her hand before you immediately pulled away from hers, to open the necklace to see what's inside.

You expected to see a picture of the two of them, but only for you to be shaken down by the two person in the small photos.

There it was, like a last remnant of the past, a little girl in her favorite dress at the age of five reaching out for someone. Her eyes sparkling with so much joy and her mouth is form as if it was in an eternal laughter.

In the other picture, the half part of it is your dad and he's looking down at his princess, reaching out for her in the day of her birthday in front of everyone to see in her party as they were about to take their first dance.

Suddenly, without asking for it, you were taken back to the exact time where it feels so magical to be in your gown and excitedly looking out the backyard since that's where the party is held.

"How's the preparation of my princess?", you remember someone speaking out from the doorway in your room.

As a five year old kid, to hear and see your dad visiting you before you were introduced to the world is a big deal, so big deal that you tried to be prim in front of the mirror while your mom is being helped by your aunt to make you look cuter in your day.

And yet, the moment your dad opens his arms from the doorway who, like he knew you would, you forget about the dignity act of a Princess just to get into the feeling of his hug.

Then you were squealing once he lifted you up in the air and turns the two of you spinning in a circle. The only thing you could see as the world around you goes into a spiral of blurring colors is him smiling at your tiny figure.

It felt like even the person in the world is only him.

"Just remember daddy loves you so much, my little Princess", he keeps on saying before he gets tired of spinning and put you back down before your feet.

"Promise me, daddy, I will be your only Princess, righty dokey?", you asks in delight.

He smiled as he crouched down to your height and did his best not to ruin your braided hair as he patted it gently. There is a small crown as well in the top, the one you begged for him for weeks to buy.

"Of course you would be. But promise me this one thing as well, alright?", he uttered, sharing a look with your mom who is capturing the whole thing with a burrowed camera.

"Anything, daddy"

"We both know that one day, I'll not be your King, that there will be someone out there who is destined for you?", he asked, knowing you will get it.