Drum Set

One afternoon, a large package entered the door of our condo. And when I said its large, I mean its large. Its humungous. Its so large that for a second, I feared that Qing ordered another lifesize replica of a superhero iron suit. You know, because its not like he already has two of those.

But my fear was denied when Qing told me that content of the large box is actually a full drum set.

Qing: (chuckling) I promised I won't buy more iron suit until we got a house with more rooms.

Me: (frowning) That statement doesn't do anything to make me feel better considering that the museleom has about thirty rooms in it. (eyes narrowing in suspicion) You are not thinking of lining up the hallways of the museleom with iron suits, right? Like how the old kings did it with metal armoured suits they used in battles during medieval times.

Qing: (avoiding my gaze) So, the drum set is for JR...

Me: (amazed) Did you just evade my eyes and question? Wang Qing...

Qing: (laughing uneasily) You know, when I visited JR, he was banging on his xylophone so enthusiastically, I had this idea that he might like being a drummer. Thats why I bought him this drum set.

Me: (hands on waist) Set aside JR and the drum set for a moment and answer my question. You will not line up iron suits in the hallways of the museleom when we inherit it, right?

Qing: (sweats on his right temple) Well...

Me: (blood pressure rising) (turning away from him) I am calling your mother...

Qing: (caging me in his arms) Dayu ah! It was just an idea. I will not really do it if you don't want me to. I think its great that we are now talking about it.

Me: (pulling away from his hug to glare at him) Because I mentioned it. What if I didn't raise this issue? What would you have done?

Qing: (evading my gaze again) Well...

He is impossible. I can practically hear the gears on his head churning and turning as he try to reason with me why he would pack the museleom with lifesize iron suits once we got the legal possession of that mansion.

Me: Let me guess. You will order those iron suits behind my back and once they come to the museleom, you will reason with me by saying that they are already paid for so it'll be such a pity to send them back. Giving me no choice but to endure seeing them for the next forty years of us being married together.

Qing: (eyes widening) Forty years? Dayu ah, I plan to be married to you for eighty years.

Me: (chuckling sarcastically) You really think I could live with you in a house with hallways lined with iron suits for eighty years? Stop dreaming, Wang Qing. Either I will die from utter frustration of seeing those iron suits everyday or I will divorce you once I had enough. Frankly, its such a miracle that I am ready to endure living with you and your toy collection for forty years. See how magnanimous I can be? You lucky bastard.

Qing: (sullen) Fine. I won't buy more iron suits. But at least let me have ten bikes in the mansion's garage. Its quite a large garage and...

Me: And you will not stock your iron suits in there, as well. No! You will not build a secret underground space where you can play Tony Stark with your iron suit collections.

Qing: (scratching his cheek) I was actually thinking of building my own iron suits from scratch...you know, procuring all the machines...build a lab...

Me: Do that and I will divorce you AND take all your money.

Qing: (shoulders slumping) Dayu ah...