Chapter 38 : Coffee Date

You two finally got out of bed and got ready for the day. Kageyama went to brush his teeth in your bathroom with the toothbrush he used last time when you went to change in your closet.

You threw on an oversized, black and white plaid sweater vest and a pair of light, baggy ripped jeans. You went to your jewelry stand and picked out some gold rings, a gold snake necklace, a pearl necklace and a small, white beaded choker.

When you joined him to brush his teeth, he was speechless. (Not that he should talk while brushing his teeth) but he was stunned by your beauty.

"What?" you ask cluelessly.

"Uh-uh." He nervously spits out his toothpaste. "You're just really pretty right now." 

You nervously and profusely blush. "Oh... thank you..." You avert your gaze to the side so you don't need to look at him through the mirror.

He chuckles and blushes with a little smile.

...

Kageyama had suggested to go to a coffee shop for breakfast today, so you two were walking towards town to a café he knew.

He opened the door for you like a gentleman and you proceeded to the cashier.

You give your order then he orders a black coffee with sugar and some croissants for the both of you. You find a little table by the window, placing your small black shoulder purse on the back of your chair and wait for your boyfriend to come back with the coffees and pastries.

You soon see him walking your way with two coffees in hand and a paper baggy under his arm. You quickly prance over and help him out.

"Here. Lemme take something!" You grab one of the coffees out of his hand and take a sip of it. 

"Eek. So bitter!" you squint. "This must be yours..."

"Oh yeah. Sorry." he replies.

"Oh no. It's my bad. Should've checked before stealing a sip!" you say, giving a closed eye smile to him and rubbing the back of your head. "Well, our table is right over there."

"Oh, okay. You got a window seat."

"Is that okay?" you ask, worriedly.

"Oh, totally. I like looking outside." he replies, looking towards you with a reassuring smile.

You two sit down and trade coffees so you have the right ones. You take out the croissants and give one to Kageyama.

"So, how are you feeling today...?" he asks, his voice filled with concern.

"Fine. Why?" you question curiously.

"Well, with yesterday and all... You must miss them dearly." he says worriedly.

"Oh... yeah. I kind of forgot about that..." Your voice trailed off in sadness as you took a sip of your drink.

He nearly chokes on his coffee from realization."Oh, I'm sorry for bringing it up." He swallows the coffee and continues. "I just wanted to be here for you if you ever needed to talk about it..."

"Yeah. I'm okay. You were a big help last night. Like, coming over and all..." Your eyes slowly make their way up to his'. "Thank you."

"Uh-uhmm... Of course." This must've taken him by surprise a bit. "I-I mean, you've been there for me so many times, so I feel kind of in debt to you." He shied his gaze away from you with a blush.

"Don't say that. You shouldn't think about it as debt. Besides, you've helped me so much more than I have you." You give him a small smile when his gaze traces back to you before turning right back away.

"Ugh, well, uhmmm... you're welcome..." His blush deepened as he still didn't meet your eyes. 

After a bit, he gathered up his courage again and faced you. "So what were you like on your volleyball team? Like in middle school?" Kageyama asked.

You look up at him with surprised eyes after taking a bite from your croissant.

"I-I mean, you did promise you'd tell me about your volleyball career the other day..." He averted his eyes again.

"Oh yeah..." You finish munching on your bite and swallow. "Well where should I start...?"

Kageyama shoots his eyes back onto you in excitement. "Uh, well the beginning is good!"

"Okay. Well..."

You explain to him everything from the start.

How you and Daisy wanted to join a club since forever and tried out for volleyball in the beginning of middle school.

How you two were known as the spike-block duo and how every hit Daisy got couldn't be received, but when they were, you would just shut down the other team's play with a kill block.

How in your last year of middle school, you were the captain and led the team to a triumphant victory in the final tournament.

"Then why did you stop?" Kageyama asked, with those soft, worried blueberry eyes. "I mean, I remember about the whole high school thing, but you seemed to love the sport so much! I don't see why you didn't continue just because your friends weren't there."

'Oh. I'm not even sure how to respond to this...'

"Well, I guess it just reminded me of them so much and I didn't want to be on a team if it wasn't with them. It felt like I would be betraying them or something..." You sigh. "... I guess the whole concept of 'being a team' became distant to me... I didn't know how to be for and not against..."

"Oh..." is all he said.

You let out a heavy little chuckle. "But I guess seeing them in tournament could've been an excuse to see them then, right? How stupid was I-"

"No! You weren't stupid." he aggressively interrupted you.

"Wh-what?" you ask.

"I understand the whole 'not knowing what being apart of a team' thing is like..." His gaze lowered. "I have my own history in middle school..."

That turned into it's own conversation and you two ended up growing closer, talking about your past trauma and issues with the sport that you both love so much today.

(A/n: Heya! I AM SO SORRY FOR NOT PUBLISHING IN LIKE A MONTH NEARLY! I wrote like half of this right after publishing the last (I think?) but only got to finish it today! ToT I've been so busy with school and work that I barely get time to do the things I love!

Anywaysssss, just fyi that y/n is kinda relative to moi and my life, but guess what?

I MADE A VOLLEYBALL TEAM!! YAYAYAYAY!!! not the one I necessarily wanted but I'm w my friend (yuh, heya Daisy! hehe) And I'm also on my school's field hockey team- (no I do not know the first thing of field hockey. My friend made a trade that if I join the team, she'll watch and anime of my choice, hehe. I'm making her watch Madi-Sama)

ANYWHOOO, love y'all so much and thanks for baring w me and all my nonsense (I'd be surprised if anyone acc reads my shit long A/ns but what evaaa) and wHy ArE mY rEaDs BoOsTiNg So MuCh ReCeNtLy?!

But thanks for reading! (Drop a vote or follow maybe?) See ya in next chapter!! :D)

Word Count ~ 982