Chapter 19 : Bonding

It was Tuesday and the gym was under maintenance, so practice was cancelled today. So most of the guys went their separate ways once school was done.

Apparently, Hinata went to go see the old coach Ukai to help with his spikes, so he was pretty quick to leave and you barely saw the beam of orange run by in the halls.

The current coach Ukai wanted to teach Kageyama a new way of setting, so you were left alone that day.

Walking out of the school, you bumped into the small blonde from yesterday.

"I'm sorry!" Yachi yelled, bowing in front of you.

"No, it's my bad." you say. "I'm not sure if you heard, but there won't be practice today."

"Oh. I didn't hear. Thanks." she said.

"Hey." you say, grabbing the blonde's attention again as you two start walking out of the school together. "Are you busy? Because if you want we can hang out and I can teach you some volleyball stuff."

"Oh, I'm not the athletic type." she says, waving her arms around.

"No, I meant like the rules and the different positions. So that you understand the game more." You give her a reassuring smile. 

"Oh. Uhmm, sure! Do you want to come to my place?" she asks.

"Sure."

At the start of your walk, you two were both quite quiet, but slowly you two made small talk and then made it to you telling her about the players.

"Yeah, so the third years are Daichi, he's the captain, Sugawara and Asahi. They're all pretty chill. The second years are Tanaka, Nishinoya, Ennoshita, Narita and Kinoshita. They're chill too, but Nishinoya and Tanaka are quite loud and energetic."

"Then there's the first years. Hinata, Tsukishima, Yamaguchi and Kageyama-"

"Oh, Kageyama and Hinata. Are those the two with the crazy fast hitting thing?" Yachi asks.

You chuckle a bit.

"Yea. Kageyama is the setter and Hinata is a middle blocker and our decoy, but I'll explain that later."

"The first years are a bit all over the place. Hinata is very energetic and bubbly, but I'm sure you could already tell." You look over and Yachi, who just nodded. "Tsukishima is very sarcastic and can come off rude most of the time. I suggest staying on his good side. Yamaguchi is really sweet. He can get paranoid sometimes, but I think he mostly feels like he's in the shadow of his peers, so be gentle with him."

"Kageyama is a very skilled setter, but I heard some rumours about him being controlling in junior high. But he's trying to change. He doesn't talk as much as some of the others and can seem very intimidating but he is very sweet once you get to know him." A small smile comes on your face subconsciously.

"Are you and Kageyama close? I noticed you walk home with him and you walked to school together this morning. And you seem to know him well...." Yachi asks.

You go a bit silent thinking about it.

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to pry!" she yells, bowing again.

"Uhmm, I guess we are kinda close. We're in the same class so we kinda became friends there. He was also the one who brought me to the volleyball team. Well, actually, it was mostly me forcing him." You chuckle.

"Oh. Haha. Well, we're here!" Yachi says, as you arrive at an apartment building in the middle of the city.

...

You have been helping Yachi learn the rules and positions of the game as you sketch out a little plan in your notebook to help her visualize.