Chapter 22 : Questions

You and Kageyama keep up the charade the whole day, with no breaks. It was exhausting. Once it was time for practice, you knew that you both could relax a bit. 

You figured that it was just first year gossip, so you would only have to keep it from Tsukishima and Yamaguchi, but they didn't seem to care much. Especially not Tsukishima.

You and Yachi end up chatting the whole time. A few times coach had to remind you of your duties on the team, but then you just noted down a few things and went back to talking with your new friend.

'it is nice to have more than just one friend.'

It was a nice and relaxing practice, considering the day you just went through.

Well, that's what you initially thought.

Once practice was done and the gym was almost cleared up, two of the players decided to approach you. The second year wing spiker and libero.

"Soooo. You and Kageyama, huh?" Tanaka says, his voice echoing in the gym and getting most people's attention.

"Uhmm, what about us?" you question. Slowly, more and more of the players make their way in your direction, joining the two second years in front of you. They seemed to carry either curious or teasing expressions.

"So you are a couple!" Nishinoya exclaims, his eyes wide. 

You follow suit, your own eyes going wide. 'wait. Don't tell me the rumours spread to the whole school!'

"Uh-uhmm." You were at a loss of words, as more questions were being thrown to you.

"How long have you two been official?"

"Why didn't you tell us?"

"Have you been keeping this a secret?"

"So this is why you two are always hanging out!"

They kept piling up, and you didn't know how to respond. You didn't really want to even answer them. 

"Give her some space! She's obviously overwhelmed." a silver haired male cuts in, shoving his way to the front of the crowd of tall guys. Once he's in the front, he turns to face his teammates. 

"This is no way to treat your underclassmen and manager." Sugawara turns around to face you with a sympathetic smile. "I'm so sorry for them."

"O-oh. Thank you." you manage to mumble out.

You notice Kageyama finally getting to the crowd.

"What's going on?" he asks, standing beside you.

That's when the questions start up again. Many were repeated but directed to Kageyama this time.

"Were you and (y/n) always a couple?"

"Were you keeping this a secret?"

"Why didn't you want us to know?"

"I thought we were buddies!"

"You two are so cute together!"

"I don't know why you wouldn't want us to know..."

"How is this first year the first to get a girlfriend!!"

The questions slowly turned into... complements? 'That was weird.' you thought, but it was still overwhelming hearing all the bigger guys bombarding you two with comments and questions.

Subconsciously, you hug onto Kageyama's arm. He had his hands shoved into his pockets, so it was pretty accessible to grab.

This sudden action must've startled him because you felt him flinch and tense up at your touch. You look up at him with big eyes.