Chapter 8 : Exams

Your alarm woke up that Monday morning and you got up, did your skincare, got dressed, made breakfast and headed out of the door with your school bag on your back and your music playing in your ears. You meet Kageyama halfway and hand him one of your airpods. School was just as boring as per usual.

Of course, you had lunch with Kageyama on your favourite bench, but since you both opened up more to each other yesterday, it was much less awkward then before and instead of sitting in silence, listening to your music, you guys were talking the whole time.

After school, the volleyball team had practice, so you walked over to the gym with Kageyama, and Hinata joined after spotting you both in the halls.

Practice went as usual, but at the end, coach Ukai had an announcement to make.

"Okay guys. So I was able to get us into a Tokyo training camp in two weeks, where Nekoma and some other powerful teams will be." You hear excited whispers from the players. "But, we can't forget that exams are next week. Since the training camp will be a week-long event, if you don't pass all of your exams, you will have to stay back and retake it while the rest of the team leaves for Tokyo." Slight gasps are heard from the crowd of boys in front of you. "Just wanted to let you guys know. Anyways, clean up the gym and head home."

After the gym was cleaned, you and Kageyama walk home together, which you are starting to get into the routine of doing, but today he seems super tense as he wears an anxious expression on his face.

"Hey. Are you okay? You seem.... stressed." you ask.

"Oh. It's nothing (y/n)." he tries to reassure you, but you're not convinced.

"You know you can tell me whatever is on your mind, right?"

"Well... I'm just kind of worried. I really want to go to that Tokyo training camp, but I'm really struggling in my classes, especially english. If I don't pass my exams and miss the training camp, I'm going to be behind everyone, 'cause they're going to get better, when I'm left here to do useless school work." The more he talks this out, the more emotional his tone gets.

'wow. Volleyball must mean a lot to him. I can really tell how worried he is about not being able to go to this camp.' You turn to face him.

"Well, how about we get to school early this week so I can help you study. I'm not the best in our class, but I'm passing and I'm a pretty good teacher, if I do say so myself." you say, giving him a reassuring smile. You see his face light up as he turns to face.

"Really? You would do that for me?"

"Of course. I live for helping others, and it's definitely not a hassle for a friend. Not to mention, teaching others is another way for me to study." It's true. You have always been known to basically tutor other students in your classes, which helps you memorize the content.

"Thank you. I don't know what I would do without your help. I don't even know how to study." he says, turning his head to face forward in the last sentence. You can see a slight blush come across his face, that makes you start to blush. You hide your face in your messy (h/c) hair that is blowing in the wind.

*Time skip - Next day (Tuesday)*

You woke up 2 hours early that day, since you were going to meet up with Kageyama an hour before school starts so you can help with his exam prep. You also needed time to organize your notes and gather some additional information that you might have missed before coming to Karasuno.

You ended up getting to your usually meeting spot 45 minutes early, since you got all you needed and kind of was impatient to start. You sit on the curb for about 10 minutes, listening to music, when you see Kageyama walking towards you, looking down at his dragging feet. 'I guess he must've been impatient to start too.'