Chapter 21 : Rumours

"Are you two dating?!" Hinata bursts out, jumping in front of you and Kageyama.

You notice that some of the other students in the halls have stopped their conversations and gave their attention to the four of you.

"Where did you hear that from?!" Kageyama exclaims.

"Was that what you were going to ask, Yach?" You turn to the anxious blonde beside you.

She just replies with a quick little nod, avoiding eye contact from anyone and everyone, focusing her vision on the floor.

"Okay. How about we talk about this in private." 

You lead the three others outside and behind the club rooms so you can explain. You didn't feel like having this conversation with so many ears around.

You and Kageyama stand in front of Yachi and Hinata who were by the wall.

"First off, where did you two hear that from?" you ask calmly, breaking the tense silence in the air.

"W-well one of my classmates t-told me..." Yachi stuttered out, still not looking at you.

"Yeah! That's what everyone in our year have been talking about!" Hinata exclaimed.

"Oh. So the whispers were about us." you say, turning to Kageyama, who just had a blank expression. "Welp, sorry to break it to you, but we are not a couple." you say, turning back to the shorter two.

"Really?" Hinata asks.

"But we need to pretend that we are." you say. Everyone there looked at you shocked, even Kageyama.

"What?!" they all exclaim.

"Well, we accidentally told Oikawa we were a couple. Assuming that this rumour came from him, we can't risk it tracking back that we AREN'T dating." you say. 

"Oh... But how did you accidentally tell, Oikawa of all people, that you two were dating?" Hinata asks once again.

"That's a long story that I'll tell you later. Right now, we need to get to practice. We are already running late." you say, heading off to the gym, with the three other first years behind you.

Upon arrival, you noticed that the team had already started practice.

"WHY ARE YOU FOUR LATE! GET TO PRACTICE RIGHT NOW!!" coach Ukai yelled.

Kageyama and Hinata go straight to practice as you settle yourself on the side, getting your notebook and pens out. Yachi has been watching you take notes at practices, so she sat down to your left.

Halfway through practice, you notice Kageyama and Hinata have started to work together again. You also notice that those two were talking about something, but couldn't tell about what.

'they're probably talking about what I told them earlier.'

"Hey Yach?" you whisper, trying not to get other's attention.

"Yeah?" She turns to face you.

"Can you not tell anyone that me and Kageyama aren't dating? I don't want things to get messier than they already are." you say, still watching the boys play.

"O-of course! You can count on me." she says, a bit too loud. A few of the players turn to look at you two.

"It's nothing. Continue practice." you yell, waving them off.

...

You, Kageyama, Hinata and Yachi decide to walk together. You and Kageyama explain to them the situation that you were in with Oikawa, showing them the texts and everything.