The Final Truth

re read the last chapter so the emotional value hits. 

Chapter 40

Vienna

I arch my back more, ready for Asher to continue but he doesn't. His whole attitude changed once he saw my back. Fuck my back.

Marchello took out the studded belt and started snapping it in front of me, trying to scare me into telling him the codes to our files before he even got started. But I wouldn't break, I would stay strong for the people who have become my family. I won't let weakness be the reason they get hurt or get torn down with me.

Enzo flipped me around, the chains around my wrists strained and my arms crossed. He raised the raggy shirt so my back was exposed.

I couldn't contain my shaking, waiting for the first strike.

Asher moved next to me on the bed and it snapped me out of that memory.

"Where did you go?" He said with a softness that could make me unravel. I lay down, using my arm as a pillow, facing him. His fingers start lighting tracing up and down my side, over the curve of my hip and back up.

"I forgot about the ones on my back. They stopped hurting a day or two ago." I answer honestly, I can see the slight flinch in his gaze at the pain I endured. I would do it all again if it meant having these intimate moments with you.

"I don't know how I deserve you." He says quietly, his green eyes meeting mine with more emotion than I have ever seen from him before.

"We deserve each other, Asher. After everything we have been through," I move closer to him and his arm wraps around me, "We deserve this." I say softly as I hold his face close to mine. I swipe my thumb across his cheekbone, admiring his face this close. "Smile." I whisper to him. He looks confused for a moment. "Your dimples," I swallow and take a moment, "I thought of your dimples that only show when you truly smile. It's what kept me conscious while they..." I trail off and he smiles this big goofy grin. It was so un-Asher like it made my heart swell knowing I was one of the only people to ever see it.

"I would smile for eternity if it meant having you in my arms through it all." He whispers as he slowly brings his mouth to mine.

I love him. I thought as he lightly brought my body closer to his. Gone was the fast intense need and want for each other, this was slow, deliberate, caring. He kissed me like we had time, like we had forever. I love him, I thought as he lay me down on my back again. Giving light kisses along my jaw, his hands traveling all over my body like he's tracing the map of his world.

This is what love is. You could go through the worst, yet when you are back with your partner it all melts away. I could never forget what happened and we have a lot to talk about, but Asher gives me that time and respect to take it a day at a time. He sees my scars, the ones that are marked across my body and the ones that are marked across my heart, and he accepts me anyways.

Asher watched my face with care as he slid into me this time. Slow, intimate, and with care. He kissed me as I wrapped my legs around him, and he moved my hair out of my face as a couple tears escaped from my eyes. I couldn't feel any more at home and safe than I do right now. This is what kept me going when I hit a point I could have given up. It is love that fills my heart and it's love I can't deny any longer. I can only hope he feels the same.

~~~

I put on some clean clothes after I took a quick shower. I quickly check my new phone one more time for any updates from the doctor. Lillian gave me this new one on the plane back home. I only just set it up a couple hours ago, so the only contact I have in my phone right now is the hospital's number.