❈ Chapter 35 ⑅ A life that was stolen from you.

Axel waited in his car as he stared at her house from far away

Axel waited in his car as he stared at her house from far away. He was trying to muster up the courage to tell her father what had happened to his daughter and he was responsible for all of it.

He wiped his tears and finally stepped out of the car. He walked towards the house but halted in his steps as the door opened. He frowned when he saw an unknown man and woman stepping out of the door.

Axel took a deep breath and approached them. "Isn't it Mr. Jones's house?" He asked

The man frowned. "Yeah, it was but he doesn't live here anymore"

Axel nodded, understanding that he might have moved. "Do you know where he lives now? Where can I find him?"

The couple looked at him from head to toe and then shared a look. "Did he owe you money?" The woman asked

Axel shook his head a little. "No, it's not that, I actually wanted to meet him---"

"Mr. Jones died a few months back" the man informed.

"W-what do you mean?" Axel asked

"He's dead. His daughter ran away from home, she was all he had... It was really sad, his corpse was rotting for a month when his daughter finally found him. It was heart-wrenching"

Axel's eyes widened. "His daughter?" He asked, "Was she here? Is she still here?" He asked mindlessly.

"No, she left with his dead body, and we haven't seen her again," The woman said and took a deep breath. "The poor thing was devastated."

Axel staggered back but controlled himself. He turned and hurriedly got into his car. Once alone, he broke down again and leaned his head against the steering wheel.

"I'm sorry, Chloe... I'm so sorry, baby" he repeated again and again...

Meanwhile...

"Where is he?" Dominic asked

"Where he always is! At her grave!" Charlotte snapped

Vanessa sighed. "I have barely seen him the whole summer"

Dominic squeezed his eyes shut. "He's leaving in a few hours and I'm glad. This will help him move on from her death"

Charlotte shook her head. "Dad, I don't think he can ever move on from her death"

"He will!" Dominic said stubbornly.

"Charlotte, would you go and get him. He won't listen to us" Vanessa said. "Maybe that way he'll spend an hour with me before he leaves for college"

Charlotte took a deep breath. "I don't know if he wants to spend time with us... He hates us..."

Vanessa shook her head. "Hey, come on, Charlie. Your brother doesn't hate us, he loves us"