❈ Chapter 23 ⑅ A liar, a beggar, and now a thief.

Her palms were sweating, her breath coming out short, pulse beating in her ears, blocking out all other sounds

Her palms were sweating, her breath coming out short, pulse beating in her ears, blocking out all other sounds. Her legs followed the doctor towards the ultrasound room but her mind was far away from her body. The voices around her echoed in her head.

They entered the room and the nurse instructed her to lay down on the gatch bed. Mindlessly, she did as she was told. She laid down and pulled her shirt up from her stomach. They put a cold gel on her stomach.

Excessive sweat fell from her eyebrows as she was getting hot. “Wait,” she said. Under pressure her voice shook, becoming almost inaudible.

The doctor's hand stopped midway as she stared at Chloe in a questioning manner. Chloe looked between the doctor and the transducer in her hand.

"Do you need anything?" The doctor asked

"What---" she took a deep breath and swallowed uneasily. "What if it's a tumor? Does it mean I'm going to die?"

"Well, I hope it's not a tumor but we'll find out soon" the doctor gave her a warm smile and Chloe nodded.

As the transducer touched Chloe's stomach, she held her breath and squeezed her eyes shut.

"I could tell..." The doctor mumbled to herself, moving the transducer around slowly. Her attention was on the monitor before her.

"What?" Chloe asked, lowly.

"You're pregnant, congratulations. It seems you're more than twelve weeks along"

Chloe's eyes widened "What?"

The doctor pointed towards the screen. "You see this... It's the head, here are the arms and legs"

Chloe looked in the monitor and she didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Her chin trembled miserably, her whimpers resonated in the room and tears rolled down her cheeks. It has arms?" Chloe asked, crying and smiling at the same time.

"Yes, do you want to hear the heartbeat?"

"H--Heartbeat?" Chloe stuttered and then nodded. "Yes!"

"Okay, let me find your baby's heart," the doctor said moving the transducer around. A few seconds later, a gentle heartbeat fell on Chloe's ears.

A gasp left her lips. It looked like she just saw a ghost. She froze in place. Her eyes brimmed with tears of mirth and the smile tugged her lips broke into a grin.

The first thought that came to her mind was, she wasn't alone. She had someone now. She wasn't alone...

"Can I ask you something?" Chloe said

"Yes, this is why I am here"

"I... I had an abortion..." She uttered lowly.

"Before this?"