❈ Chapter 20 ⑅ It's not fair

Ella took off her blazer and wrapped it around Chloe's shivering body as they both came outside of the house

Chloe turned frantically. "I need to go back in, my dad needs me"

Tears welled up in Ella's eyes. "Chloe, stop! What are you doing?!"

Chloe wiped her tears and acted indifferent to what had happened. "You don't understand, Ella. When he's passed out like that I have to do everything... Now I have to take him to his bed and make some food for him---"

Ella held her shoulders and shook her violently. "Your dad is gone, Chloe"

Chloe laughed. "No, he isn't. You know he loves to scare me like that. He'd act like he's dead and then he'll wake up. Any minute now, he'll come out of this door and he'll go like GOT YOU!" She mimicked his voice and smiled with tears shining in her eyes.

Sobbing, Ella shook her head. "No, Chloe. Your dad is gone" saying that she pulled her in for a hug.

"You're lying" Chloe mumbled over her shoulder not hugging her back.

"I wish I was..."

Chloe's chin trembled. Suddenly, a flood of tears gushed down her ashen cheeks. She knew... She knew but she was trying to deny it.

"We need to call an ambulance, okay?" Ella rubbed her back.

"Okay..." Chloe cried

Ella nodded at her, holding her close. "Okay, you need to stay calm. I'll take care of everything."

The help arrived on the scene in under half an hour. Ella and Chloe stood outside of the house as they saw Hugh's rotting corpse getting into the ambulance.

"Ma'am, what is your relationship with the dead?" An officer asked

Ella looked at Chloe but she seemed completely out of her senses. "She's Mr. Jones' daughter Chloe Jones"

"And you are?" He asked

"I'm her friend"

He asked a couple more questions before Ella and Chloe settled in the ambulance with Hugh's body. His whole body was now covered with a white cloth. Chloe slid her hand under it and held her father's cold, stiff hand. Ella kept saying something but Chloe couldn't hear it. At the hospital, they took his body for inspection and Ella stayed by Chloe's side the whole time.

Five hours... It took them five hours to finally tell Chloe about her dad. Ella called her dad and lied to him about being at a friend's house.

A doctor approached them. "Ms. Jones?" She called and Chloe stood up immediately.

"What happened to him? Who did this to him?"

"Was he a drunk or an addict?" The doctor asked

"Yes... He was an alcoholic" Chloe answered