xxii • late night kiss

•••

•••

I WAS ON THE VERGE OF LOOSING IT, perhaps, maybe I had already lost all the sanity I had gathered for the trip. Things had clearly taken a turn for the worse; not only the fact that we were stranded but also the fact that there was nothing we could think of. Letting out strings of curses, I watched Valen examine the car once more, a scowl evident on his features.

Tugging at the roots of his hair, he let a groan escape his mouth. “We really have to do something.”

I whipped my head in his direction, hair flying into my face, and at the same time we spoke: “But, what can we do?”

“I asked, you tell me,” he had ordered.

And he should've known what to expect—instant retaliation of course. “No, I asked.”

He had groaned again, whilst I rolled my eyes, and together we paced around the car, glaring straight through it's tinted glass. I looked up at him, he was now leaning against the car, glaring at the cars speeding past us—none stopping to help.

“How does one not notice a power drain?” I drawled, stopping my pacing and leaning on the car next to him.

He shot a scowl at me. “I’m sorry,” he drew out, “I was too busy listening to all your arguments to pay attention.”

I scoffed. Jerk. “Whatever.”

“I need to call the mechanic.” Valen quickly whipped his phone out, and called one—he also needed to inquire about the cost and time it'd take to get the car fixed. I waited patiently, and the storm inside my head seemed to calm down a little.

It didn't take long for a mechanic to arrive, and when he examined the car, he said the most unfortunate thing. It would take long and needed to be towed. And whilst Valen went around to look for help, I grabbed our bags and belongings out of the car.

When Valen came back, he had a small smile on his face and I didn't return it—he shouldn't blame me because I wasn't a girl who loved things getting out of track.

“Okay, I know we don't know anyone here and there's no we can just wait here till the car is serviced but—”

My eyes narrowed as I folded my arms over my chest. “Let me guess, you found a hotel for us to stay in.”

“Yeah,” he ran a hand through his hair. “It’s really close, just less than half a mile, we can hit the road in the morning and still make it.”

I sighed, letting my hands fall to my sides. “It’s not like we have any other option.”

This couldn't be that bad, I thought and simply smiled before twirling on my feet in the opposite direction. Valen jogged up to me, then we both looked up. Night had slowly befallen us, wrapping the day in it's dark blanket, filling the inky night sky with it's specks of light.