ix • adrenaline

I NEEDED A DRINK

I NEEDED A DRINK.

After what had happened with Veronica, I needed a glass of water. I can't believe she had the audacity to bring my stupid dad into the whole thing.

I walked towards the cupboard in the kitchen where red Solo cups were stacked together and tried to reach for it. Damn it. I wasn't a short girl but for some reason, the person who had built the house just had to put the cupboard way high up. With fingers on the the cupboard, and I, on my tip toe, I tried to reach for a cup- I accidentally fumbled with the cups and as they fell out of the cupboard- I missed my own step.

Before I could hit the ground, a pair of muscular arms had wrapped around my waist. Though I was grateful that the person had caught, I was still flustered and annoyed.

A swift whip of my head seconds later, his midnight eyes were all I could see.

Honestly, I was waiting for a frown, an eye roll or any form of sarcastic remark- but he really was a mystery to be solved. Our faces were really close, and I found myself asking, Why was there always a reason for us to be proximate when we didn't like each other? He didn't break eye contact with me but with the way he stared into my eyes- he was trying to figure me out.

They say the eyes are the windows to our soul but,- I was gonna close the window.

I got myself in a standing position but, his hands were still placed around my waist. "Let go."

He let me go.

"Having trouble?" he asked, shifting his eyes to the cupboard then back to mine.

"I just needed water," I told him, matter-of-factly.

He nodded and then reached up to get a cup from the remaining stacks- so easily- before handing it to me. I took the cup from him, and filled with water in the sink before drowning it like I had been thirsty for days.

I turned around to lean against the counter to see Valen still standing there, this time, with a bottle of Coca-Cola. Wow, I really did expect him to be drinking beer- oh he's a boxer. Healthy living.

"What are you still doing here?"

He ignored my question, his baritone-like voice coming out quietly, "Carla Marshall."

"Valen Monroe," I said, nailing the pronunciation of his name- like I care.

Wait-he knew my name?

He opened his mouth to say something but I already beat him to it. "How do you know my name?"

He chuckled softly. "I have my sources."

I rolled my eyes at his sudden childishness-there was a limit to it and I was gonna end it soon. There wasn't a speck of comfort I felt and all I wanted to do was get away. Since none of us says anything else, I took it as my cue to leave.