xx • midnight walk

▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬

MIDNIGHT SILENCE REMAINED CALMING—there was good in gazing at fuzzy street lights, and listening to the whispering wind. The night was a special kind of blackness, the kind that only wants to hold the stars, and make them shine brighter. Daytime was exhausting but this night was a warm blanket that hugged me safely. And, with the moon that was covered by murky clouds, my feet took off to the gym.

However, this would sound absolutely ridiculous, because—clad in black sweatshirt, I decided to leave sleeping Bella behind, and walk out of the school campus, at 1:00.A.M. It did sound risky but I was used to taking risks.

As I walked, the cool wind seemed to calm my chaotic mind which only consisted of the one and only Evan—and the mere thought of him sent the urge to teach him a lesson. This was my first time stepping out at midnight, and back in Arizona, it was something I would've never done. The courage I had to walk down the streets boldly wasn't surprising, and so I wasn't trying to stop myself.

The night seemed to flash my younger self for a solid second—me in Evan's damn car and the moon not bright enough. I wasn't ever the one to go to parties, but because I had trusted him—I blindly attended one.

With chaotic mind, I arrived at the gym, and glad that it was opened, I stepped into the brightly lit building. I felt more relaxed, to say the least, and it was only when I looked back up that I saw someone.

Great, I had company.

Steps stopped, and so did my thoughts. I watched the person punch the bag without mercy, like it had offended him in one way or the other. But, the person punching the bag wasn't just someone.

It was Valen.

He was killing the punching bag hanging in front of him, mindlessly bouncing on his feet. I was silent, though, observing him for a second—maybe couple of seconds—because, fuck, his back was distracting. And yes, he was shirtless. His movements stopped, and I knew for a fact that he felt my presence, because a whip of the head later, he was staring straight at me

"Really?" My voice was weirdly strained when I spoke, but I wasn't surprised since I knew my brain wouldn't function properly if he didn't get a shirt on. My heart was maybe glad he was there.

But—why was he here?

He was turned to face me, hands embraced by his fiery, red boxing gloves, and on observing look on his face. And even though I was far off, his whole face and body excelled in the brightly lit room, and my cheeks were kissed by light crimson—which was unusual.

He cleared his throat, immediately snapping me out of my thoughts. If I had been gawking openly then curse me—but I stared still. "It's past 1am Carla, why are you here?”