xxiii • late night talks

▬▬▬

▬▬▬

THE HOUSE BEFORE ME JERKED ME OUT OF EVERY THOUGHTS I HAD BEEN HAVING, and overwhelmed me but, I couldn't stop the slight thrum of restlessness bustling throughout my body, a little too much to be unbothered. It hadn't occurred to me that I'd been rooted on my spot, eyes fixated on the mansion before, until I felt Valen's warm hand slip and intertwine with mine.

“There's nothing to be worried about, his parents are nice.”

The morning sun shone on his features, the blue in his eyes becoming emerald due to the bright sky. I couldn't help but notice the little spark that occurred when he wrapped his hand around mine, and then letting my mind wander back to the night at the hotel—his smile, the new found emotion and the kiss. The the thought alone made the flutters I felt to intestify yet, I had a feeling that constrainted my lungs, telling me not to think about it too much—and just go one with a sadistic life.

I followed Valen up the steps to the front door, straightening out my top self-consciously. Wealth wasn't my style and I was afraid of doing the craziest thing.

A gentleman, clad in a tuxedo graced our presence with a wide grin that came from deep within, spreading to every single part of his body, and when his eyes fell on Valen, he bowed slightly. “It’s nice of you to join us Valen Monroe and. . .”

“Carla Marshall,” I filled in for him.

“Oh yes,” he nodded. “Mr and Mrs Anderson have been awaiting your arrival, please come in.”

We thanked him, and walked inside and I swear I almost had a cardiac arrest. The architect was modern and classy, tinged with a slight touch of auburn in it's cream entirety. And if I wasn't thinking of running back before, at that moment, I definitely was.

Slowly and steadily—that’s how I walked, and my constant fear of being out of place was through the roof. All the chants and techniques to be calm preoccupied me as I sat down on the couch besides Valen.

If Walter's home could be this lavish, I thought, I bet I'll die if I see Valen's.

The ceiling ran above my head and was high, as well as etched with delicate designs, expensive looking paintings on the wall besides the enormous fluffy cream colored couch I was seated on. I heard approaching footsteps and I clasped my hands to wait for the next. There was no running.

Carla!”

My best friend's voice called behind me, and when I turned around, everyone was standing there; staring at Valen and I with a shit eating grin. Bella and Jess had ran up to my side whilst the guys got involved in their own discussion. Of course, my two friends didn't fail to fill me in on the fun I had missed out—and just when I had rolled my eyes, they informed me that they had made a bet on me having fun with Valen.