ii • white and brown

IN THE SOFT WHITE-GOLD LIGHT, the hues of my bedroom moved from impressionist pastel to brilliant pop art

IN THE SOFT WHITE-GOLD LIGHT, the hues of my bedroom moved from impressionist pastel to brilliant pop art. My luggage was bathed in the warm light as if it spoke it's content of good times ahead. It was a welcoming sight-for it told a new adventure.

It had been another day of waking up in cold sweats, fear incessantly playing tug-of-war with my heart. It was only a matter of time it consumed me, perhaps, and I forever get trapped in the metal chains of my past.

I was sitting on my bed, eyes fixated on my luggage. My lips were pursed and hands on my hips. I was finally leaving for college.

"Hurry up, Carla!" Ally's ready voice sounded from the other side of my bedroom door.

I groaned, frustrated. "Almost ready."

By the time Ally walked into my room-without permission, I had frantically started shoving my stuffs into my luggage. Maybe I was late but, I didn't mind, after all; I wasn't ready to go just yet. My brain over thought a thousand miles per hour and Ally plopped down on my bed.

"Time's really fast you know," I started, "I'm finally getting away from you."

Breaking into a tight-lipped smile, she handed phone which I shoved into my luggage. "That's good, I don't get to see your pig face anymore, bully." she stuck out her tongue.

I let out a hearty laugh, feeling my stomach hurt. "I don't bully you little cousin, I just show you how strong I really am."

"Seriously," she breathed, standing up, "I keep wondering how a female could be so tough."

I broke into a small smile, "training."

"That's gotta have been all your life because, I haven't seen any guy that was able to take you down," she shook her head in amazement, "You're supposed to be a boxer."

"And waste my time? No way!"

She scoffed and rolled her eyes simultaneously-and when she opened her mouth to retort, she was interrupted by my mom's voice.

"Carla?"

"Yes mother!" I called back, hoping she would here my voice from the living room and she did.

"We don't have all day, come out," she ordered and I could clearly picture her getting all frustrated because we were definitely killing time.

Packing the last thing, I let my eyes wandered around the room, stopping on the picture frame that sat on my drawer, staring back at me. I'm taking this with me. I grabbed the frame, stuffed it in my bag and then followed Ally out.

Shoes tapping on the floor made our presence known; Mom and uncle noticing us, turned around, standing few steps ahead of us.

"What took you so long?" She was a bit annoyed because she believed in punctuality.