xix • rooting memories

▬▬▬▬▬

"DON'T YOU TRUST ME?"

Evan had this pleading look in his eyes—one that I doubted immediately-but, I chose to listen to him because he was the only one who really looked out for me when the world turned it's back against me. He was two years older than me, but he was my best friend.

I nodded and allowed him to lead the way into the crazy party hosted by one of the famous football players in school. He always had this strong, confident walk; one that was an epitome of effortlessness.

My mom had warned about parties but for some reasons I didn't care-maybe because my fifteen year old self trusted him, he was a great friend. Or so I had thought.

Once we stepped into the party, the floor thrummed below my feet. I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and forced a smile because parties never appealed to me. We had gotten comfortable in the party-except me though-and I noticed that anytime some of the boys looked me over, Evan became really protective. And whilst Evan stayed with me, he had excused himself to get us drinks. I didn't want him to go because I didn't know anyone else but he promised to be back.

He did come back. He handed me my drink and sat down besides me. I was glad he knew I didn't drink, and had gotten me a glass of orange juice. I gulped down my drink, and felt this trail of coolness slide down my throat. And as the last bit of juice slipped down my throat, I was hit with a pang of dizziness.

Evan noticed. "Are you okay?"

I wasn't okay. I couldn't clearly focus on my surrounding, and my head felt like it was under water-it couldn't be the effect of the juice. "Yeah, just a little bit dizzy."

"I think you need rest, I'll take you to the guest room."

"No, no, I want to go home." I attempted to stand on my feet but I ended up back on the couch.

"Don't worry, you'll be fine. Trust me."

Those syllables came out so smoothly, and when I looked up, he was standing in front of me with his hands outstretched. I took it and he helped me up.

Somewhere along the line when he led me to the guest room, I lost consciousness.

I never really knew what had happened that night until my Mom dropped the big bomb-Evan tried to take advantage of me. All I wanted was to kill him at that very instant. I was betrayed, Mom was disappointed, and Dad almost killed me. I never got to find out about the stranger that had saved me that night but I knew one thing for sure. . .

I'll never attend any party again and certainly keep my distance with guys.

▬▬▬▬▬