xxix • transient beauty

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE—
"transient beauty"

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"I FEEL LIKE DEATH," Bella's face was pale and drawn, her eyes bloodshot and her shoulders slumped with exhaustion. Her words came out in a weary mumble, her lips barely moving as she spoke. It was comical, to say the least because those were the first things Bella spluttered immediately the video call connected.

Jess chuckled as she nodded. "You look like it too."

"And why is that, Bel?" I asked, voice soft and gentle, a stark contrast to Bella's weary monotone as I placed my laptop on the bed so the girls could see me properly.

"My little brothers are driving me crazy." She burried her face in her palms, elbows resting on her desk. I, on the other hand, laid against my headboard before leaning over and slipping out of the camera to grab a comb form the top of my drawer that stood besides my bed.

Once I grabbed the comb, I positioned myself in front of my laptop screen again, running the comb through my unruly strands. "What did they do now?"

In a swift movement, her head lifted from her palms, eyes trained on the screen, only to let out a groan. "They spray painted me, and it took me hours to wash off!"

"Oh my God." My face twisted in pure amusement as I bit my inner cheek to stop myself from laughing just as Jess spoke, "Are you for real?"

"Yes! And my parents even took pics."

"Can you tell them to send me one?" Jess let out a laugh that was warm and bubbly, like a fizzy drink overflowing from a glass. It made me smile, and before I knew it, I was laughing too; the cacophony of our voices filling the air.

Bella's left eyebrow had lifted up, signalling that she didn't find any of it funny, but she waved it off regardless. "Just forget that, Carla have you heard from Valen."

"Not this morning, but, we talked a bit last night." I replied as I returned the comb and reached for a fluffy pillow, putting it behind my back on the headboard to make myself more comfortable.

Bella nodded, and whilst tucking her long hair behind her ears, she placed her chin on her palm before smirking, "What did you guys talk about?"

My cheeks immediately flared up as I figured out what she wanted to hear. "Nothing out of the ordinary, that's what."

Giving me a knowing look, she hummed, fingers pointing at the screen. "Your cheeks are on fire. Jess do you smell something burning?"

"Relax Carabella," Jess paused momentarily once to blow on her polished nails before focusing on the screen, "It's just your future diploma."