xii • auditory caramel

DATE, HE KEPT SAYING- what an idiot

DATE, HE KEPT SAYING- what an idiot. He had taken me to Betty's Cafe and motioned for me to walk in with him. As he walked me to our table draped with a linen cloth, unlike every other table, my eyes widened in shock. The view before me was beyond astonishing, like it was straight out of a vintage photo. We both took our seats, opposite each other.

Valen had fallen silent as he flipped carefully through the menu, and I was getting hungry- so I got his attention; "What are we having?"

His eyes held concern for a split second. "Are you hungry," keeping the menu open, he passed it to me. "You choose."

I skimmed through the menu and made my decision. "I'll have a plate of Nachos and a cup of orange juice."

He gasped dramatically. "Are you also a foodie?"

I groaned, rolling my eyes. "I'm not, just so hungry asshole."

I had managed to glare at him, before he went to go get our lunches. It was a blessing to get away from college stress, though my stomach was really empty at the moment. The rumbling in my stomach had only increased when we got there, the fresh smell of freshly baked snacks wafting through the air.

When Valen came back, he had the same smile he had when he left earlier, and I was left thinking of how his eyes twinkled when he smiled or grinned.

"So, what did you order?" I asked him when he took his seat again.

"Salad."

My mouth dropped open. "What?! Salad?"

"I'm a boxer, and I've been instructed to watch how I eat," he shrugged lightly.

I sighed. "That's sad. This is why I never liked boxing."

"You better, it's my passion," he commented just as the waitress placed our lunch by our sides. I muttered a 'thank you,' before turning to face Valen.

"And because boxing is your passion, I should start liking it?" I rolled my eyes at him, ignoring the chuckle that fell out of his mouth.

"Are you that short tempered?" he raised an eyebrow cockily.

"Are you this annoying?"

It seemed that our conversations were going to be all about silly quarrels, eye rolls and deadly glares since he was passing me another one of his eye rolls. He was about to make a comment but I shushed him by placing my fingers on my lips. "I'm starving so let me eat, would ya?"