xvi • enthralling conundrum

▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬

EVERYONE STARED AT ME.

Immediately after I had smashed the ball towards Veronica's head, I began to feel lighter and beyond satisfied-but the way everyone stared at me was like I had done the worst thing ever.

Veronica was still in the water, all whilst crying pathetically that I had to roll my eyes. With gaze darting between Valen and the rest, I wanted to lie that it had been an accident but, their boisterous laughs slashed right through my unspoken words.

Bella and Jess came on either side of me, hands falling on my shoulders. "That was hilarious, especially the way she screamed."

"Yup, you're a savage," Bella added, all between laughs.

"That was amazing!" Walter added, running towards me whilst Jaxon laughed, and Austin spoke, "That's why I like her."

I took it as a joke-even though he had sent a wink my way.

I caught Valen's gaze from few meters away-where he had been standing-and saw amusement flick up in his eyes, all before letting out a fruity laugh and then masking it with a cough when Veronica called him for help.

He helped her out of the water, and parts of her body was covered in mud from where they had met with sand. She marched up towards me, eyes shooting glares as she fumed, all before walking away to clean up herself.

Valen walked towards me, smile plastered when he stopped in front of me. "You really are fucking strange."

I folded my arms over my chest, and refusing to answer him because I was still mad; mad that he had to leave right in the middle of our competition, and when I was almost winning. Couldn't he have pushed her away or something?

"Carla. . . Are you mad?"

I looked at him, rolled my eyes, and then looked away. "Thank goodness you noticed."

He tapped my shoulder. "Why are you mad? I didn't do anything."

"You little-" I cut myself off, and sighed. "We had a competition, where I was winning and you let her pull you away!"

He pinched the bridge of his nose, a sigh falling past his lips. "What was I supposed to do? She has been practically annoying me with her annoying and never ending talks."

I rolled my eyes at him. "Now that the game's cancelled you're buying me ice cream."

"What? No," he retorted. "You're going on a swim with me.

Valen Monroe was known for always starting arguments, and I suppressed a groan. "I'm not going to swim with you."

"That isn't what the bet said."

"Neither of us won!"

A sigh slipped past his lips. "Okay let's do this; you'll have a swim with me and I'll get you ice cream."