~ 46

Tw: Abuse, sexual assault, rape

Also don't take timelines to serious, I have no idea how long you got to study in the us for either of their jobs, so lets just roll with it
———

Once upon a time there was a young woman who thought she found her happy ever after, but back then she did not know this is actually her worst nightmare.

2 years later the brunette women woke up as usual, in her boyfriend's arms or how she calls him her worst nightmare. Nini met her current boyfriend, Daniel her freshman year of college. They started dating two years later and now a year after she graduated, she regrets nothing more. He was the perfect boyfriend until they graduated, slowly he turned into an abusive asshole.

"Good morning baby" he muttered in a sleepy voice. She immediately faked a smile before turning around to face him "Morning."

She quickly learned that if she did whatever he wanted she would not be hurt as badly. "I got to get ready for work babe" she whispered lowly and cringed at the last word. She held her breath until he slowly nodded his head and let go of her.

2 hours later she was sitting at the desk of her office after getting ready for at least an hour. She had to change thrice because her outfits were "too revealing" even though it was just a pants suit and a blouse that covered everything, both times.

Then she had to cover the bruises on her neck, so no one would get suspicious. Nini also had to get a large coffee before going to the office because she does not sleep much, since she always has to make sure she's safe from her boyfriend.

He usually comes home late and if he's drunk, she will have to hide in the bathroom, otherwise she's safe In the bed.

"Miss Salazar-Roberts your 11 am appointment is here" her secretary told her. Nini is a lawyer now and she works for one of the largest firms in New York. "Send him in" she commanded before shifting her gaze to the files of her new client.

A few seconds later the door opened and her secretary, Melanie came in followed by a familiar looking man. "You can go, thank you" the brunette dismissed her. Then she looked at the man. "Please sit down" She looked at the file "Dr. Bowen."

Her breath got caught in her throat when she read that name. Bowen, as in her childhood best friend, until she moved away senior year of high school?

"So formal Neens" Ricky teased her.

"Sorry Ricky, I didn't know it was you. I wasn't able to look at your file yet, because I've had so much stuff to do."

He smiled before sitting down opposite of her. "So, you're a doctor now?" Nini asked him or more like stated. He nodded his head "Yeah, I work at a nearby hospital as a Surgeon. You are obviously a lawyer now. Didn't know you were that smart Panini." She laughed slightly at his teasing "I could say the same for you Bowen." Both adults burst out laughing.

It felt so foreign for her to laugh and then something hit her. If Daniel found out about Ricky, that she still cared for him deeply he would hurt her.

"Back to the topic" she quickly said, the amusement gone. "Why do you need a lawyer?" she questioned him. "Well, I don't actually need a lawyer. A co-worker just talked about you and I was hoping that you were actually Nini. I just wanted to see my childhood best friend."

She nearly smiled at that until she remembered her abusive boyfriend back home. "Great, then you can leave now" Nini mumbled, but he heard. "Nini I'm sorry for just doing that, but I just wanted to see you. Looking back, I could have done it differently" Ricky said to her.